1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Hu question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PriusWiLL, May 9, 2012.

1. PriusWiLL

PriusWiLL New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,
    I'm planning on getting a 2012 Prius III, and was wondering if i could change out the headunit easily? I know that it's supposed to be the same generation, but i thought i saw someone saying the 2010 and 2012 were slightly different. Does it matter that mine has the navi? Can someone direct me to where to find a 2012 metra kit or something? i only see ones for 2010. Are they the same?

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The 2012 is still coming into focus, most places have not changed out the HU just yet, Yes you could do it yourself, but many other factors in to be taken in. As I did, I replace the door speaker first. That is a big improvement. the HU does get them to work pretty well, but a added amp would make a difference. Now were talking a new ball game. I'm waiting on a new Alpine HU due out in the next two months. It may be worth waiting for. Until then I enjoy the new speakers.

3. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are aftermarket power, speaker and antenna wiring harness adapters for the 2012 (speakers & power are the same ones toyota has used forever).

I dont know of anyone selling a harness adapter that supports the steering wheel controls and aux inputs. They can always be hard wired by taping into the harness (28 pin plug)