1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket HUDs

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hkmb, Aug 17, 2022.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Model Y has finally been launched in Australia this month. I'm going to test-drive one this weekend.

When I test-drove the Model 3, I just could not get my head around the idea of there being no driver's display in front of me. Speed limit enforcement is strict here, and I also like having rudimentary satnav directions in front of me.

I've seen a few M3/MY aftermarket HUDs - usually things that look like lucite "best law firm for mergers and acquisitions 2019" awards that you stick on top of the dashboard above the steering wheel, or in a couple of cases, narrow digital displays that you slot into the air vent above the steering wheel. They show speed, satnav directions, indicator (do you call them turn signals?) status and a few other things.

It looks like it might overcome the biggest thing that turns me off a Model Y.

Has anyone used one? Are they any good? Are they easy enough to integrate into the Tesla's software?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One of my cell phone performance Apps has a 'HUD' option that handles image reversal. But I quickly found it had marginal effect as my driving practice is to use cruise control. My accelerator is just for parking and pulling out from stops. As a 'transition' device, a cell phone, performance App might work in a car not your own ... yet.

Bob Wilson

hkmb likes this.
  3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. That's useful to know.

I tend to use cruise control only on longer runs: city traffic here is very busy. But my BMW doesn't have adaptive cruise, so perhaps the way I use it would change when I get my next car.

bwilson4web likes this.