1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket HV battery pack -- a cautionary tale

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ammdb, Aug 8, 2019.

1. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a brand new member, and perhaps this has been covered before, but I recently learned a lesson regarding after market replacement HV battery packs.

I own a gen 1 Prius, and have successfully replaced the HV battery for a second time, and the car running like new!

The first after market battery, purchased through NAPA, lasted over four years, which isn't great, but not that bad either. It worked out to $35 per month, which is still far lower than a car payment. The battery had refurbished gen 2 cells, and I was thinking if I had only spent more money up front and paid Toyota I would have been running new cells that would last as long as the original battery, well over ten years. For this reason, I tried getting a replacement battery pack from a Toyota dealership parts department, but here's the catch:

Toyota will not accept an after market HV battery as a core return. I'm sure many on this forum already know this, and I simply had not done my homework, but the bottom line is, once an after market battery is purchased, there's no going back.

bisco likes this.
  2. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    great info. thx. I can only suggest that anyone caught in this situation, rather than pay $900, or whatever Toyota wants to charge for a core, should go buy a used, no warranty battery from a dismantler and turn it in as the core. I bet you can buy one real cheap. You might even be able to sell your bad rebuilt battery back to the rebuilder you got it from for enough to cover the cost of the junker from the dismantler.

3. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota core charge was $1,350. The OEM HV Battery, P/N G951047020, was the battery assembly without control unit, vent hoses and other parts. A junk battery might work, but would also still need to have a set of good parts to swap over before installing the new battery.

The good thing about the after market pack, is it came fully assembled. The only parts I needed to swap was the safety plug and white plastic vent hose that clips on the end. I'm hoping to get at least four more years out of this one -- fingers crossed.

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hmm, not sure if you didn't understand me, or I'm not understanding you. The junk battery I'm suggesting you buy from a dismantler/Ebay/anywhere is what you give back to Toyota as the core, I can't imagine it not having all the components that come inside the metal case, but you can certainly confirm that before buying. If not, you have those parts in your old battery. I don't see how Toyota can tell the difference on anything except the Gen 2 cells.

if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the new OEM battery doesn't come with several parts, but Toyota expects the core coming back to have those parts? No way is that correct.

FYI, I see several used batteries on Car-parts.com for $150.

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Dang, I hope you didn't give Toyota $1350. If so, you got ripped.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the heads up! (y) yes, many of us already know, but innocent newbies come here all the time.

7. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course the core would go back to Toyota without any parts that needed to move over to the new battery. The big unknown is the battery ECU, which either from a salvaged battery or the after market battery may or may not work with the new battery. I believe this is why Toyota recommends having a certified hybrid tech do the replacement.

I ended up purchasing a second after market battery from NAPA. It came with the ECU and all the other internal parts, so all I needed to do was bolt in the battery and hook up the wires. It a good choice for do it yourselfers, but the trade off is having reconditioned cells with an unknown life span.

8. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    PS, NAPA did accept my old after market battery as a core return.

9. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Great, it wasn't clear from your post. I thought you bought that Toyota battery and paid the core. From a quick Google, it looks like NAPA is selling the Dorman rebuild. I bought one of those for my first Gen 1, albeit not from NAPA, and had good luck with it. But, when I looked at it again this time, the price had gone up several hundred dollars and the warranty went from 3 years to 1 year. So I went with Best Hybrid at $1350 and hope they're good for their 3-year warranty if I need it.

ammdb likes this.
  10. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The saga continues. The dreaded P3006 engine code popped up just a couple days past the one year purchase date of the replacement after market battery. I thought it was out of warrantee, but instead of saying, so sad too bad, the friendly folks at NAPA contacted Dorman, who built the battery, to see what can be done.

The Dorman battery warranty is based on the 'Install By' Date stamped on the battery, and not the purchase date.

For this reason I was able to get a warrantee replacement through NAPA at no charge. This new replacement battery appears to be much stronger than the last one, and hopefully will work for many years to come -- fingers crossed!

11. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota will take an aftermarket traction battery, someone on here just did this with their Cardone battery.

The only time they will tell you no is if you tell them yes its an aftermarket battery.

Sure they would love to have an excuse to charge you more.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know. I called around and was told no after market cores. It also might be different when Toyota is installing the battery. I was trying to buy one and install it myself.

13. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hasn't been a year and just started getting the dreaded P3006 code on the Dorman warrantee replacement battery.

Not sure if the replacement battery came with a new 1 year warrantee, or if the warrantee is only for the original after market pack.

Not sure if I want to replace it myself again if the remanufactured batteries only last a year

I am sure I don't want to play wack-a-mole and try replacing individual cells.

I would like to keep the car going just the same.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your only option for long-term reliability is a new set of modules and the only option for new is from Toyota. However, the car is around 20 years old so you need to factor that into the equation.

If you are comfortable with a modules swap and can get newer modules from a couple of wrecked Gen 3 or NiMH Gen 4 Prii (or even HyCam/RAV4/Prius c) modules, that could be a good option for a medium-term repair.

15. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First step is to go back to NAPA, carrying your receipt paperwork, and tell them your story. Two batteries that give less than one year satisfactory performance each is something they should complain to Dorman about for you; NAPA, for customer satisfaction purposes, may find a way to minimize the pain of yet another replacement battery. Or maybe not. Doesn't hurt to ask politely.

But as Dolj (above) said, it's a 20 year old car, and you need to do the $cost/inconvenience calculation for your own situation.

16. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick update. I found a junk core battery to exchange for a new Toyota battery from a nearby Toyota dealership. I installed it myself today, and the car started and ran like new!

As expected the Dorman battery warrantee was only good from the original purchase date, and not the date I installed the warranty replacement, so no luck getting another replacement through NAPA. If the original Dorman battery came with a two year warrantee, I could have gotten it replaced again.

I did swap the battery ECU from the Dorman battery, because one of the connectors on the junk battery ECU had glue or something in it which didn't let me plug in the cable all the way. Probably for the best, since there's no telling how long the junk battery has been sitting around and how much corrosion was inside. I also replace the relay module with a good one from eBay.

(Note new Toyota batteries do not come with ECI and relay modules, these need to be swapped from the original battery.)

#16 ammdb, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    mroberds and WHCSC like this.
  17. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    First Repair replaced cells myself April 2013

2, 7.2V Cells. $70
    S/H $13
    Bat. replace manual. $15
    ---
    Total $98

Second Repair replaced cells myself May 2013

1, 7.2V Cell $35
    S/H $ 8
    ---
    Total $42

First Replacement After Market HV Battery Pack installed myself (Gen 2 Cells) April 2015

NAPA Dorman Battery $1765

Battery Repair replaced cells myself June 2019

3, 7.2V Cells $54

Hybrid Battery Service and Repair Shop July 2019

CC Motors $912
    (tested replaced faulty cells, reconditioned battery -- didn't work, cleaned throttle body)

Second Replacement After Market HV Battery Pack (Gen 2 Cells) Aug. 2019

NAPA Dorman Battery $1765
    (matched price of first battery)

Warranty Replacement After Market HV Battery Pack Aug. 2020

NAPA Dorman Battery $0

New Toyota OEM Gen 1 HV Battery Pack Installed myself July 2021

Toyota Dealer Parts $1995
    junk battery core. $500
    main relay. $43
    -----
    Total $2538

Original Battery lasted 14 years, which I repaired myself twice costing $140.

First Dorman Battery lasted over 4 years, costing $1765 plus $966 attempted repairs for a total cost of $2731

Second Dorman Battery lasted two years (including warranty replacement) costing $1765

Bottom Line, I payed $4636 for the first 20 years, (which is more than if I took the car in to have the battery placed by a dealer in the first place), and have now invested another $2538 to keep the car going. Will try to recoup a bit of money by selling the after market battery I could not exchange as a core.

#17 ammdb, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    mroberds, WHCSC and kenoarto like this.
  18. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Last month I tested modules in the Dorman battery I pulled and replaced with the new Toyota battery. None of the serial numbers were even close to being sequential, these remanufactured packs must depend on whatever process is used to test and match modules. Besides this it was clean with no signs of corrosion. There was one low voltage module indicating a shorted cell, which I replaced, so perhaps the pack will now go a few more yeas.

If anyone is interested I'm selling it on eBay: http://ebay.us/9831si?cmpnId=5338273189