1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Keyless Entry

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rrey, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rrey

rrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone wired in an aftermarket keyless entry system in these Gen cars? The reason I'm looking into an aftermarket system is my car fob did not come programmed for entry. As far as I can tell only the transponder for the ignition is the only item programmed. I just need to be able to lock/unlock the car without disrupting the factory anti-theft system. Thanks for any responses or help.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you mean aftermarket keyless entry systems or just a remote controlled lock system?

Does your Prius have the keyless system (buttons on front door handles)?

How do you know that the key is not programmed? Does the light in the key light up when pressing the buttons on it? Maybe the key just has empty battery or stuck button? Do you only have one key?

rrey likes this.
  3. rrey

rrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A guess its technically just a remote controlled lock system.

Yes it does have the central power buttons for unlocking in the drivers door. (All the doors unlock and lock properly through the switch)

The light does flash when you press the buttons on it, I also changed the battery in the factory fob and verified its output. Unfortunately, I only have the one key I got when I purchased the car secondhand.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have never heard of an aftermarket system. Does your car have the SKS (Smart Key System)?

5. rrey

rrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No it does not have the smart key (from what I understand). The key has to be physically inserted for the car to start, if I'm understanding the terminology correctly.

What I was referring to as an "aftermarket system" was a generic lock/unlock kit from Bulldog or Viper etc..

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like it’s maybe not an original key and is not fully mated to the car.
    Without sks you should be able to at least unlock and lock the car from the fob like just about any other car.

What’s the background story on the car is it a salvage or a stolen recovered you just bought it what?

It may actually have sks it’s just your fob is not programmed completely.
    Is the Toyota insignia on the fob chrome or black ?

Use the search feature the button on top of the page. Lots and lots of posts about the fob.
    Read up.

#6 edthefox5, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018