1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Moonroof for Prius V with Advanced Tech Package

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by migs, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, they mean if your region doesn't get a certain car the way you want it (like here in NYC we can only get the Prius V with the AT package not just the navi alone) to contact your dealer and maybe they can request one which may involve a trade with another region etc. as Rick has said and Prius Team many time before, a Prius V with the solar/moonroof is just not going to happen right now.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi strieby,

Because I decided yesterday to decline Toyota's Priority Pre-Order offer and am staying with my 2007 Prius, I'm going to get the same Webasco 5300 moonroof that, IIRC, you got.

Note however, that craigk's installer in Minnesota has stopped installing moonroofs on the Prius. According to his installer, customers reported that if you press hard enough on the moonroof it will pop down, and there's insufficient room on the Prius roof to install a brace that would prevent that.

I was wondering, did your installer have anything to say about that problem?

3. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nay, indeed.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I duno . . . I see sunroofs being used (open) almost as often as i see multiple occupants inside the Expeditions and Tahoes that blow by me on the freeway.

5. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use my sunroof all the time in summer- it's my favorite option on a car (not going to pay $3K for it though, I'll go aftermarket). More important for me is having the glass roof. If gives the car a more open feel and lets more light in all year round.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's my main reason for wanting a moonroof too. The more roof glass, the better. In fact, for the 2010 Prius, I'd have preferred no solar panel fan, and instead put fixed glass there so that it's a panoramic moonroof.

7. strieby

strieby Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nope Boo. Fits great and I have had no problem with it what so ever. They install a lot of them for the Prius so they have plenty of experience. You won't be disappointed if you have it done.

1 person likes this.
  8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks strieby.

Yes, although craigk passed along that info from his installer, he himself had no problems with his moonroof. Nor have I heard of any problems from other Chatters (Bobbyb, others) who have had the Webasto moonroof installed.

I'm going to get one installed next week by the same Long Island installer who did Bobbyb's. Summer's coming, and I need light and air!

9. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V
    I just read in another thread that there is some modders that may attempt to include thier own version of solar ventilation intergrated in the moonroof. Cool idea

10. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking about just getting the package IV (so I can get the moonroof) and then putting on some rims of my own aftermarket OR trying to buy the 17" from Toyota ... then I realized I wouldn't be getting the LED headlamps and integrated foglamps with package IV.

Darnit all! I really don't miss not having a moonroof, but wouldn't mind if I had to have one through a forced package (like most cars do when you load them up) ... I like the openness it adds even if not open (having glass above).

I understand the weight restrictions being cause for not putting the moonroof in the Package V ... but is it a weight (safety) concern b/c of braking and other suspension issues or is it a weight issue b/c of being able to meet the EPA fuel economy rating or the like?

As it looks now, I'll be getting a Package V ... now if I could just decide b/t Black & Blizzard Pearl ... argh! Misty Gray interior almost for sure ... depends on how the beige looks in person.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same dilemma as moi. LEDs or Moonroof. I like the moonroof but I can't really pass up on LED headlights! (You can thank Darell for getting me hooked on LEDs).

Misty Grey looks fantastic but so does the beige (because they both contrast nicely with the dashboard). The problem I have with the beige is that the headliner and upper b-pillars are in light grey (Regardless of interior colour) so to me, the dark grey with the light grey ceiling or the Misty Grey with the same coloured ceiling matches better than the beige and light grey ceiling.

12. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that info ... didn't know that about the headliner and pillars ... that seals the deal ... Misty Gray it is!!!

So you decided on the Package V? What color?

Every time I've had a moonroof I rarely, rarely use it ... but it does seem kind of cool to have in the Prius since I like gadgets. Plus the glass would make it feel a bit more open ... all my moonroofs have been in SUVs prior so they felt open inside anyhow.

13. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I would hope that the color mismatch between the beige and grey headliner was simply a pre-production matter. I'd find it hard to believe that Toyota would allow that in final production customer vehicles. hope...

14. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will not be a purchaser of the Solar roof package - although if the nav wasn't bundled I would. Have seen references here about aftermarket sunroofs for the Prius. I think I'd be interested if not risky as to the structure, safety, and longevity.

The Maxima had a standard fixed sunroof -they called it Skyview- a few years ago. It was narrow, perhaps 15" or so and ran almost the full length of the roof.
    "All Maximas come with Nissan's Skyview Roof, which is sort of like a narrow moonroof that runs the entire length of the roof. The Skyview Roof cannot be opened like a traditional sunroof, but sliding doors inside on the headliner can be opened or closed to let in more light, or block out the sun. A traditional power sunroof is available as an option."

Inside Line: Media Gallery

Would be a nice aftermarket for the Prius, and a not-worry issue re the Prius roof shape (forget what the experts here had called it). Not sure of the market for this as it is fixed, but allows light into the cabin which is a positive for me personally.

[​IMG]

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not the first manufacturer to do that. Mercedes-Benz does that with the B-Class too. Up here, if you choose black, beige or light grey interior, you're gonna get a light grey headliner and upper interior trim (anything above the door panels)

np!

Well I can't get a package V because we don't have that in Canada. The Touring model is the one that comes with LED/17/fogs but it doesn't have the leather, heated seats, power lumbar support or the water-repellent glass that you guys get on your Prius V.

If I get the Tech Pack, it looks no different from the Premium Package w/ Solar Cells.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, my 1995 Volvo 850 was like that too, except that it had a beige headliner no matter what color interior you got (I had a true dark gray interior -- much darker than the Prius dark gray). It took me years to get used to it, but I never got around to liking it.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    beige headliner... now that's an interesting contrast.

Well remember the all red interiors or all blue interiors of early 90s Toyota?

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    People in my family had 90s' Toyotas with the red and blue interiors, but I didn't notice that they were all red and all blue. Were they multi-tone? If they were single tone, it sounds like it would be kind of oppressive, especially the red.

19. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V

I'm concern about that as well, hopefully someone can chime in who has had an aftermarket moonroof put in. Im curious if it affects the integrity of the roof liner?

I also want it to be completley flush on the roof when closed so it will not affect drag.

20. Carls

Carls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd like the Remote AC but the combo Solar roof/ Remote AC is too costly at over $3K- I hope Toyota will unbundle the package