1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Nav/Audio Choice.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by frodoz737, Sep 22, 2010.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Sorry I didn't see the answer in earlier threads. I am going with Toyota Trim p/n's, but will probably have to buy one of the other kits anyway for "brackets". As posted, the Stock Nav HU ones would work, but I have the single-dim radio installed. Price out the door here for Trim and fillers is $118.64. I'm sure factory brackets would have a premium price as well. By the way, the side fillers are listed for Celica.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    allrighty then...received vehicle last night http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/85499-shes-in-driveway-new-post.html. Below is a copy of the wiring diagram for 2010 Prius II base stereo system, care of my dealer. I need this for installing my own Nav/Stereo HU and hope others can use it as well.

Toyota dash trim P/N 55406-47080 will be here Tuesday. Now I just have to decide on which unit and whether or not I will upgrade with speakers/amp.

Another choice between the "Toyota" back-up camera or maybe the CMOS-200. Considering the Toyota piece because the rear panel is already provisioned with a cut-out with blank plate. Seems the angled stock piece and location would be a cleaner install than drilling holes where ever.

Feed back anyone?

Attached Files:

3. boniam

boniam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi fairfieldwizard,
    Thanks for the great review of Kenwood 7160. I am also planning to get that. I have been considering 7160 or rosen but leaning towards 7160. Both Kenwood and rosen is coming to be same price but i have more confidence of Kenwood. I will probably buy Kenwood or Rosen next week.

I am choosing 7160 over 6160 because i think a head unit without button will look better and 7160 have free traffic. Do you think it is worth spending extra on 7160 instead of 6160.
    Any more experience on 7160 since you have this for a while? Any picture of your install? Did you consider Rosen?

4. bAthinAzn

bAthinAzn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    have u considered the rosen nav unit??
    thats what im saving up for at the moment....
    its got a beautiful 7in screen, idk about the nav tho since i got an iphone for it
    but u should definitely go into it man its worth checking out

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have really enjoyed my car this last month, getting right at 54mpg real.

So here's where I am with the A/V Nav. I definitely see the need to upgrade the speaker wiring for my application. I am an airline mechanic with a bump for avionics. The few "plugs" I have looked at appear to be Molex type. So armed with my wiring diagram I head off to the dealership looking for the correct pins and tool part numbers. You should have seen the parts guys eyes. Before I left I was given access to their electrical repair kit and last years book. I have plug identifier numbers, but no equipment numbers or part numbers. Without these, the parts guy has no clue. The Service manager was confused as most car buyers would never ask for this information. So here we are...as I would on aircraft, I need to replace the speaker wiring plug to plug with new pins. Some installers suggested they would drill out the existing plug pin location and run the new wire though that way, others scratched they nice person and said they would snake it this way or that. One even suggested drilling holes in the door frame and pillar bulkheads and using a grommet. I realize this is a car and not an aircraft, but I would at minimum loose my job and possibly my license for this, and at worst go to jail.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Attached is the correct wiring diagram for my vehicle. I require the info mentioned above for speaker wiring only. Plug part #'s, Pin part #'s (male and female), insertion and removal tool part #'s, and if possible which crimpers.

Thanks.

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachm...42887-aftermarket-nav-audio-choice-img015.pdf

6. bobraynard

bobraynard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed the Kenwood DNX7160 with PAC steering wheel interface. It's awesome.

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just another take - before you pull everything apart, try upgrading just the speakers - listen, then do the wiring later to get a real feel for the sound...

As has been well documented, swapping wire into the doors is nearly impossible (between car and door).

When you swap speakers, you can use the old parts (molex connectors on speakers). I just took the old speaker, and cut the thing out - along with wires. Then solder the 'molex' part to the new speaker - this allows an easy 'plug and play' - without the issues with rewiring and pulling stuff apart.

8. boniam

boniam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got DNX7160 installed and here is a mini review. I will create a separate thread once I use it more and have time to take pictures.

I have DNX6140 in my other car which i am satisfied with and I was at-least hoping to get same level of satisfaction with it. I must say if it was easy to do I am would be on border line to replace it with DNX6140 or DNX6160.

BAD:

(1) Slow software all around: Software is slow all around (compared to 6140) to the point that it is dangerous to operate on while driving even for simple things like going from tuner to GPS or GPS to IPOD etc. Touch screen response is ok but that gets aggregated by the fact that software is so slow to response. To me it is a total failure on part of Kenwood. Personally I could work around this by using remote to some extent. or setting up my sources correctly. But i am worried about if my wife would need to operate on this and if i decide to switch my car with my wife.

Also May be i will get used to this. Also my steering wheel control is not installed so it will be easy to operate while driving once I get that installed.

(2) I encountered the ipod disconnected bug where IPOD is show as disconnected no matter what you do twice in two days. You have to rerstart the car or reset the IPOD to workaround this. This is scary and if it keeps coming then this unit is definitely going back.

GOOD:
    (1) GPS is great.
    (2) BT is great. I made few calls.
    (3) Music over BT works well and gives option to go to next and previous track.
    (4) UI is actually pretty good in terms of seeing different thing on screen except slow part. I am able to workaround slow part by changing source and volume from remote (this is what I do most while driving). I hope i will be able to do it from steering wheel once i install that control.
    (5) Traffic works well. This is i am saying from my experience with other
    garmin unit I have. The functions and interface is same.

I will see how much IPOD bug and sluggish performance bothers it and decide if i want to return it or keep it with workarounds. I must say i would have preferred software that runs my DNX6140 in this 7 inch screen. Oh wow there is no perfect solution. I hope I will find the software slow response less of a problem as i get used to it more.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just may take your suggestion and hold off on the speaker wire for now.

Was able to get half the plug pin part #'s from a friendly Mech on his lap top at a sister dealership. It appears only the male or female side is available. Can't remember which, and I'm at work now. Standard Molex crimper is used and I have 2 ea. part numbers for removal tools. For the pins...$17.50 ea., with a 6 to 8 week wait on order plus you can only get one side. May rent some server time and look a little harder.

Real close now, but have another question. What is the Part Number for the door and other interior panel Clips (retainers, barbs, pins whatever they are called)? Would like a bag of 50 or 100 on standby.

Thanks.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With your background, you have probably already looked into this, but since you didn't say if you were looking at Toyota or Molex pin removal tool P?Ns....

Have you checked to see if one of the standard Molex pin removal tools will work? They are usually easy to get.

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found one of my posts that may give you a bit of insight...

Unfortunately, I thought I had a post showing the molex connectors cut out and soldered to the new speakers - but have no time to find it - I think it's out there somewhere... http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/79495-my-avic-navi-install.html

Again - play with speakers first. I don't know of any posts showing new wires to the doors.

If all your after is the molex, read the post - I took a dremel tool, and just cut out the connectors.

I later moved the front speakers to the rear - which turned out easy if you can solder (just move the connector to the new speakers).

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The release tool P/N's came from the Toyota Manual and appear to be std. Molex single and double. Will bring some home from work to try before buying. Will see about renting server time with Toyota next weakend to get the complete pin/connector info I want.

rrolff I missed that thread. Thanks for pointing it out. You mentioned with your placement of the tweeter it was a little bright. I have given the front placement a lot of attention. shawnb2's solution http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...s/66935-my-custom-sub-enclosure-w-pics-2.html looks good but a bit much with the glass. Right now considering the HSK 163 like him, but using the tweet like you did and sustituting the HL 70 with the 4" Polk under the grill. Comments?

Still need the part number for the panel clips.

13. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You won't be able to get a 4" into the dash locations without fairly major modifications (I tried test fitting a 4" in there...it's a no go).
    You might squeeze a 3-1/2" in there, but it will be tight. A 2-1/2" to 3" should fit comfortably, but the choices are limited in those sizes.

I too considered the HSK-163's, but there's no good way to get the tweeter in without major cutting...and even then it won't be on the same axis as the midrange.

The factory squwaker is 2.6"...a very odd size...thus not easily replaced with an aftermarket upgrade. I'm now considering a couple different 2.5 to 3" full range drivers...then going with and active electronic crossover and separate channels of amplification.

1 person likes this.
  14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Right now considering the HSK 163 like him, but using the tweet like you did and sustituting the HL 70 with the 4" Polk under the grill. Comments?

Still need the part number for the panel clips."

Then putting the HL 70 under the grill and the Tweet on the pillar is my next choice. Not sure about this axis angle of the dangle thing, just trying to keep it simple and with least amount cutting and glassing. With the placement of stock speakers it works pretty good, just crappy speakers and HU.

Any better options?

Still looking for panel ckip P/N.

Thanks.

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was thinking about that option, the hertz installer thought it would sound better with both the mid and tweets in the pillars. I like the way shawnb2's installation positioned the mid and tweet. I also thought about the hsk165xl which have a low crossover. Two way is easier, and you can use the stock location. I didn't do either of these so can't comment on the sound. Any 3 way should get you away from sound problems with the door speaker directionality, but really there is so much not perfect in the prius that a good set of 2 way components should get you close to the best sound.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I like shawnb2's install too, very much. The sub box quotes I received were simular to his at $650 without the speaker. The pillar mod also greatly increase the price, plus covering would never quite look stock enough for me. My hats off to him for a killer install, however these require exceeding the preset budget. This stuff adds up.

Staying with the HSK 163 in front. After woofs and mids are semi installed, will slave in the tweets and move them around to find best sound location with the least amount of cutting. Back doors easy. Sub will sit in made to fit MDF box on the "shelf" covering the hybrid battery, rear facing and behind longer seatback. This seems best compromise for me, and allows for the eventual tire change in the rain. I so wish JL would make a Stealthbox for the Prius.

Again...anyone have the generic part number for the panel clips?

17. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the Kenwood 6960 and I would say this technology isn't yet well-perfected. I don't think any company has a perfect product, but Toyota's is bound to be the at a disadvantage because their lead-time is 12 to 18 months longer than the third-party providers.

I think we're three years away from seeing bug-free products from third parties, and four or five years until carmakers ship that technology. Until then, we will continue to see only products with compromises, and not the sleek, responsive processing and touch screen like an iPhone.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are many excellent things about my Kenwood, but I really have to mention that Kenwood tech support is truly exceptional. Whenever I call, I reach a knowledgeable, English-speaker without a phone menu. And they really do know everything about the product. I have a long commute, so I have called with various questions maybe ten times. I always reach someone and the responsiveness is fantastic, both pre- and post-sale. This alone is reason to select Kenwood.

2 people like this.
  19. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bonjour,
    Today, I tested the new Sony XNV-L77BT

It is great:
    Install is similar to pioneer avic. (fixation has to be adapted 5mm).
    It uses the same system than avic for remote , so I keep the steering wheel control.

Sound seems a bit better than pioneer (already excelent IMHO).
    phone & BT works perfectly

IPOD control is fast & good (nav from steering wheel).

GPS looks nice, is fast & accurate, image moves smoothly.

trafic info is perfect,
    it is possible to search infos via google.

update is made via internet, connecting the gps modul to internet using USB on a PC.

First pictures here

1 person likes this.
  20. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice post, Frenchie. I like the fact that the Sony uses TomTom, it's my favourite nav system.

If I can find this unit at a good price here in the UK I may well swap out my Kenwood, as the nav on the Kenwood is pretty grim, both here in the UK and on my frequent forays into France.

Jeremy