1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Performance Exhaust for Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by natsmada, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Over 10% more power from after cat exhaust is impossible without tuning...i personally think this is blown out of proportion for this type of .....
    Anyway Good luck if this what they advertising .....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think we get into an interesting area here. You may well find that it is illegal to sell you parts that it is legal to buy.

Selling you head light bulbs of a different technology that came stock is illegal, if you had Halogens they cannot legally sell you HIDs, etc. However, you may be legal in your state to drive with them even though it is against federal regulation to sell them to you.

We may find the same true of exhausts, some exhausts that are illegal to sell are legal to drive. CA and NY are the only states I know of that have a database of all legal Cats and nothing is legal if it is not on the list.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, tongue firmly in cheek.

Everyone knows it's the stickers that produce the better bang (still none) for the buck (LOTS fewer).

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We're not talking cat replacement here that I'm aware of. Only cat-back. etc.

audiodave likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    All he can add cat back is noise.

If you want more HP you are going to go forced induction. And since there are no kits, you are going to build it all yourself. And when you get more HP, the computers will use it to charge the battery, not move the car particularly.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's where the +10 BRWHP stickers come in...

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not seeing any sticker make a station wagon more sexy.
    Maybe a Volvo p1800 wagon, maybe

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    350x261.jpg 350x262.jpg 350x262 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg Just slap a Le Mans Prototype classification sticker above each door sill. Instant sex (if a bit dated).

350x261.jpg 350x262.jpg 350x262 (1).jpg

And purely on the exhaust system front, the +10 BRWHP and ever so sexy....

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Headers plus high performance muffler systems on the Porsches I come from added maybe 5 HP and that only at the top end of the RPM/speed curve. At more than a hundred per HP. Since the Atkinson runs in a narrow band of RPMs ...

The 1991 EPA advisory says you can't add dual mufflers to a car only certified with a single by the manufacturer but they won't make you take it off if they catch you.

Many states have noise laws re muffler systems. All remarkably similar in language.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And I "venture" that it has NOT......except to become stricter or more clear about what is NOT allowed.
    But feel free to prove me wrong.

A really high percentage of the aftermarket exhaust parts that might have an effect on emissions or noise carry a "For off road use only" designation......which of course everybody ignores.

11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The magnitude of the aftermarket exhaust industry says 100% otherwise. Feel free to sue somebodyTo wit, here's the CARB Executive Order database.
    Choose 'Exhaust Systems and Modifications'.
    The approved manufacturer and application list goes on forevah!

Helpful CARB note: "Since if properly designed, most performance modifications do not increase vehicle emissions, these same laws also allow the installation of parts or modifications proven by their manufacturers and the ARB not to increase vehicle emissions."

ARB Aftermarket Executive Order - Search results.

12. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've passed many a vehicle inspections with my modded Gen2 exhaust...including California and Texas... let alone Alberta, Canada.

Also, just because there isn't a plethora of aftermarket parts doesn't mean that aftermarket parts don't work, just means there isn't a market or reason to create such aftermarket parts. Must bcuz for at least the Gen2, majority of the drivers were ... uh... people who don't modify the Gen2 Prius....cept me. Now take the Gen3 and now even the Gen4... aftermarket parts springing up everywhere.

My butt-dyno says there were improvements but, if someone wants to fund a dyno run, I'd definitely like to see if my mods have improved HP - let alone settle any of this talk that it would do no good to improve performance. I do know that my mpg went from 44mpg to almost 51mpg. My idea is the more hp/torque at lower rpm saves the car from attempting same power at higher rpm which may burn more fuel... but what do I know...

[​IMG]

#32 Justdidit, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Montgomery and audiodave like this.
  13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice looking system. What did it cost you to do this?

Montgomery and Justdidit like this.
  14. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    More than I care to admit. I definitely didn't do it for a great ROI. Yaris Headers $260, (4) 4" Magnaflow mufflers $300, $60 for mandrel bends and ~$400 for labor for welding and misc hardware and 2" piping...

#34 Justdidit, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  15. Michael Leary

Michael Leary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here is what I did to mine.
    https:
    //priuschat.com/threads/new-mods.
    153391/#post-2201987
    New Mods. | PriusChat

16. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting conversation, but I still don't understand why anyone would want a cool sounding exhaust on a car whose engine is only running half of the time.

Bill the Engineer

17. Michael Leary

Michael Leary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know. It'd be easier just to mount the speakers outside so the sound system ran a loop with a dragster roar attached to an accelerometer on the foot feed. Ruuummm, blam, blam, blam.
    Thought of you today which is why I stopped in to the chat. Wanted to see how you're do'n with the snows a'comm'n.

18. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    More than not, I'm at WOT, so my engine is more than 90% on. Probably the only time it's off is either stoplights or when I turn the car off. Even at a stop light, I'm force charging the battery to full charge so even then the car is not off.

Montgomery likes this.
  19. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How's it sound? Was it necessary to go through two mufflers? I'm thinking of just trying a gen 3 muffler on my 2. Designed for the 1.8 liter so just a minor change.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Because Magnaflow mufflers are flow-through design, they are much louder and less restrictive than oem or standard chambered mufflers. I have actually thought about making mine even quieter.

This video was made while test fitting a tailight i'm painting. Cold start idle.

Link to video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byq64lEzbI8uZ0d1cjBENm90OU0