1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Performance Exhaust for Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by natsmada, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well then maybe you shouldn't be posting right now.
    You also are super confused.

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In California Ive never heard of anyone having issues for anything after the cat.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Wow, such an over the top response. Modding the exhaust is not illegal. The new parts just have to meet sound and emission standards.

audiodave likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is not illegal, except in CA and NY, it is just useless. You will only go from having a station wagon to having an annoying station wagon.

Sooner Al likes this.
  5. D_n_D

D_n_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bmr4life ignore the ignorance of people im learning to. Everyone believes what they wish.
    Just like in California if a cold air intake is not carb approved it's instant fail of smog. (Will pass if smog tech ignores it)

CA. V.C. 27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

More info @ California Vehicle Exhaust Noise Laws (2017)

I swore it was 103 dB but now I guess it's 95.

Although the cat is a different story as that is required for emissions. And is not the muffler.

No longer following this.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Kepik and Bmr4life like this.
  6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it is. Because nobody makes "performance" exhausts for the Prius that are actually certified for street use.
    Go ahead, prove me wrong. Find just ONE.

And here's even more over the top for you (just incase you didn't fully understand my first comment):
    Buying a car that was designed with FUEL EFFICIENCY as the top priority.......which costs about 35% more than a similar conventional car........and then trying to modify it for POWER as the top priority......is just stupid. You could get more out of a conventional vehicle at MUCH less trouble and cost.

7. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    You really should calm down some Sam. This is nothing to get so aggravated about.

Mufflers do not effect emission, only noise. You can legally change a muffler as long as it does not put you over the noise level mandate in your area.

As for making a Prius more powerful, there is nothing wrong with looking for more efficiency. Freeing up HP via a more free flowing exhaust could actually improve MPGs. Of course research would need to be done to prove this out. I'm also sure it could be done and still meet emissions if there even are emissions requirements in their area.

Alright. That said I too am unfollowing this thread.

D_n_D and audiodave like this.