1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Radio Install Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Gorge, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey everyone-

I just traded in my 2007 WRX for a 2014 Plug In last night. Two completely different cars, but I am enjoying the amazing mileage. I am going to install my Alpine INE-S920HD + PAC TR7 that I had in my Subaru.

I had a few questions on what parts I should get and what I need to be careful of. I tried calling Scosche, Metra, and even Best Buy, but keep getting conflicting info. I figured I'd go straight to the Prius experts.

I have some of these parts already because I bought them for my dad's Prius, but it turns out Alpine made a kit for his radio, so I never used them. I have the Basic Plug-in. So NAV + Entune + No JBL

• Alpine INE-S920HD (Already have)
    • Scosche Car Stereo Install Kit - 2010+ Toyota Prius TA2105B (Already have)
    • Scosche Factory Wiring Harness for 1987 - up Toyota Prius TA02B (Is this the correct one?) (Already have)
    • Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface - ASWC
    • Metra 40-LX11 Lexus Antenna Adaptor Cable 2002-Up
    Will all of these parts work to ensure that my steering wheel controls will work and also, how does the reverse camera plug into the Alpine head unit? Do I need another harness/adapter?

I thank everyone in advance!

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome, I traded in my 2007 Forester for a Prius. I have owned a 2005 WRX wagon as well, both great cars, but like my Prius more. Don't have a answer for you, but sure someone will.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like you can eventually make it work, with enough adapters. The reverse camera is integrated into the wiring harness, so there's no RCA composite video lead you can use to plug into the unit. There may be an adapter for your application available from BeatSonic.

4. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm going to miss my 380 ft/tq @ 3200 rpm, but I don't miss my 16 mpg.

Dang! That's so expensive! Anyone else have suggestions for the rear view? Did I get the right parts for the rest of the build?

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would take me awhile to find it, but I believe someone in Germany figured out which wires to tap into to feed video input to the unit.

6. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would really appreciate it if you could find it! It'll also be logged in Prius Chat history too. haha

7. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just wanted to follow up my original post. Do I have the right parts? Is the antenna adapter and wiring harness correct? Also, do I need a speaker mount adapter since I'm running the SPS-610C in the front on a Base 2014 PIP?

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I was going to upgrade the car audio, I wouldn't touch the head unit. I replaced the head unit in my Gen III Model II, and it was a lot of work -- but I got a lot of functionality. With a Plug-in, you already have a ton of functionality. I'd keep that head unit. Getting the steering wheel controls, Bluetooth mic, backup camera, USB jacks, audio in Jack, light controls, am/fm antenna and the satellite antenna to all work smoothly with your Alpine head unit is going to be a LOT of work.

Instead, sell your head unit and upgrade the speakers and add an amplifier. Also consider soundproofing.

9. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the advice but I don't like how tiny the nav screen is on the car and I hate how you can't change addresses while you drive. I know that there is something that can trick it, but it costs a lot of money.

I already have all of the other stuff from my last car, so I wanted to reuse it.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You have a difficult job ahead of you. The thread I pointed to doesn't cover the wiring for the Satellite antenna, the steering wheel controls, the Bluetooth mic, backup camera, and the usb/audio ports. Hopefully, you'll find someone who's already worked all that out. The good news is that enTune unit is common across a lot of Toyota vehicles and its 2 years old. Maybe somebody at ToyotaNation.com has figured all that out. Take your time with that and solder up a really good harness. If you wire your harness right and you solder it together well, you make installation way better.

11. Gorge

Gorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Understood. I probably won't use most of the features anyways. I don't care for Satellite Radio, Steering Wheel Controls will be used by the Scosche Steering Wheel, Backup Camera will be an Alpine one.

The only thing that I may consider is the bluetooth mic, but I can still use my old Alpine one put it in place of the Toyota one.

Back to the original question. Am I getting the right additional parts?

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wired my own rear view cam and it is a PAIN. I'd keep scouring ToyotaNation and YouTube, and maybe here, to figure out how to wire the factory camera into your Alpine.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A quick search verified you may be in uncharted waters. Before doing my 2010 Prius II Base model, spiderman's sticky 2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade | PriusChat was already up to assist me. Though I took my install to the next level, there is a lot of good info there. Since you asked, the first thing I would do is get the factory wiring diagrams for your model and compare that to the 2014 "regular" Prius prints. Metra (and I'm sure others) does give guidance for those. You might find a friendly mechanic at the Dealership, or just go online TIS to get the prints. The Bridge looks the same and I would like to assume the stereo/speakers are similar, though Toyota offered 3 different systems. Take your time on the research and report your findings and results as this may help many others considering an upgrade to their Plug-In. Will check with some folks I know in the business and post if I find anything. Good luck. Link is for my install. frodoz Stereo Upgrade | PriusChat