1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Tire Pressure Sensor Warning Light Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ajiija, Mar 8, 2022.

1. ajiija

ajiija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello,

I'm having an issue with my Prius' tire pressure warning light. I bought a 2007 Prius last year with a new aftermarket tire pressure sensor installed. The mechanic who sold me the car said he attempted to reset the warning light but he couldn't take care of it -- it would needed to be done via a dealer mechanic's scan tool.

I then took the car to a Toyota dealer mechanic who, after looking the car over, told me he couldn't reset the warning light. Is this possible? Should I take the car to another Toyota mechanic? I find it hard to believe that either a) the mechanic couldn't do it or b) I can't do this myself (buy an OBD attachment, find the software, reset it myself?). Any tips or advice for anyone who's been through this?

Thank you in advance.

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be that the aftermarket tire pressure sensor is not compatible with the Prius. If true, then the dealer's mechanic might have meant that he could not reset the warning light (because the sensor was not seen.)

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, most Toyota stealership mechanics only know how to replace the most expensive parts under warranty or by screwing over a customer that no longer has a warranty.

However every tire shop that sells a huge amount of tires everyday is going to have lots of different ways to get this fixed for you. They'll probably try to sell you some tires too. :)

ajiija likes this.
  4. ajiija

ajiija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Haha to 'stealerships' -- I like this idea & will give it a shot! Thanks! :)

Max Pivnenko likes this.
  5. ajiija

ajiija Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Noted – that certainly could be true. Thanks for the feedback.