1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Again!! Second Prius to be Hit -- Back to the Same Repair Shop, I Guess

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by a priori, Aug 16, 2009.

1. david19s

david19s New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After one month and $6000 in rear end repairs I finally got my 2010 red Prius back tonight. I was hit from the rear by two vehicle, the last guy was at fault, no injury but some inconvienience. The repair shop told me to seek damges fot "Dimminished or Inherent Dimished Value" since the resale value of the vehicle could be less than market value do to the accident. Has anyone experienced this?

David

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you were in Georgia, you'd have an easier route, but it still is possible to make the claim. Because the cost of the repair was rather significant, the reality is that even after a perfect repair job the accident always will show up on CarFax. How will that change things when you go to sell the car? Exactly. You will be offered less money. That is the inherent diminished value.

3. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When my friend was in an accident with a rental car, the rental car company asked for diminished value because a car that was in an accident is worth less than one that wasn't.

4. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That reminds me: When you are making a claim against someone else's insurance company (a third-party claim, in other words), you are more likely to have an opportunity to succeed in a diminished value claim.

5. david19s

david19s New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Thanks

I wonder if I can make the claim through my insurance compant or need to go with an attorney?

David

6. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're asking this of an attorney?

You are not required to use an attorney, though an experienced attorney is going to be your best counsel on how to proceed.

The best time to get an attorney is when the insurance company does NOT total the car, but later spends enough for you to justify the purchase of another 20

7. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Traditionally, if the accident is someone else's fault, you can make a claim against their insurance rather easily for diminished value after the repair. This is because you have no agreement with that insurance company or individual and you are seeking to be made "whole". Your alternative is a lawsuit, which they have no interest in.

But with your own insurance, you are out of luck. You signed an agreement with your own insurance that says that they just have to repair it and they've met their obligations.

My advise, only crash when it is someone else's fault (and they are insured) and even if you have an option to file with your own insurance, file a claim instead with the other company insurance. Let them be aware you want THEM to fix it, or you will have to sue the other driver.

8. HelpSaveMotherEarth

HelpSaveMotherEarth New Member

Model:
    IV
    Wow that really sucks. Where I live most houses have one driveway but we got to and the seconds one goes all they way into our back yard. So that's where I park my pro touring that my grandma gave me and once I get the 2010 prius it will definitley go back there too along where my with my gen 2 prius, my bros insight, my moms mustang, and my dads f150.

Hope you get everything fixed. But at least the lady was nice enough to tell you about it. Even though you didn't want to hear your new car got hit.