1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AGC or Camry rolls better than Prius

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by CamryDriver, Feb 12, 2019.

1. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read a few times that the Camry Hybrid will "glide" much better than a Prius. This is usually stated with the idea that the Camry is better in this regard, like having less drag is superior.

The Camry has a couple modes. In Normal Mode AGC (Auto Glide Control) is off. I assume the level of drag with AGC off is similar to a Prius. If someone knows better please speak up. I'm going to call this Normal level of drag 20 just to put a number on it.

The Camry also has Eco Mode. AGC is active in Eco Mode. AGC is a lower drag mode that is roughly half of what the drag is in Normal Mode so we can call this much drag 10. I assume this level of drag is lower than what a Prius has.

My opinion is that no single level of drag is idea for all situations. Having AGC is nice but someone could easily replicate this level of drag on a Prius by giving the car a little throttle (not enought to give the car any boost, just enough to lower the drag).

I am alway modifing the level of drag. Sometime Normal drag is better, sometimes AGC is better and often if I want even less drag I'll pop the car in Neutral for no drag at all. Steep hills will require some extra drag which you get by gently applying the brakes. If I know a steep downhill is coming I'll put the car in Normal Mode for the extra drag but the car may need even more drag than what is supplied in Normal Mode. Actually if I know I'll need more drag than what Normal Mode provides I'll leave the car in Eco Mode with AGC and just call for more regen with the brakes.

The point is that yes it is nice to be able to pick from 3 different fixed drag levels, zero drag in Neutral, 10 level drag with AGC and 20 level drag in Normal Mode but all these levels should be achievable in a Prius with the application of either brake or throttle.

#1 CamryDriver, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that achieving glide by the throttle has gotten less easy with each generation.
    But it has gotten easier for non-hypermilers to reach, and pass, the EPA ratings.

#2 Trollbait, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good points. I didn't know about the AGC or the differences in amount of drag it brings to the table. My experience so far is just with Gen 2 and the PiP. I find that it's much easier to fine tune the drag in the PiP since the display gives an indication of how much you're regenerating. The Gen 2 just has arrows that show the direction of power flow with no indication of the level of power. Since the Gen 4 also has that power indicator, I'd think it would also be more precise than the Gen 2.

In the grand scheme of things, that level of precision is probably not a factor worth fussing with, but it is kind of an interesting game I like to play with.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when gen 1 camry came out, it already had the same glide difficulty as ben 3 prius imo. iow glide is built into the software so the car achieves better mpg automatically.

we've owned both gen 1 and 2, and the best glide i could do on each is just slightly glide, a bit of ev power.

5. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In researching this I accidentally discovered that a regular Camry has a tachometer but the current generation Hybrid replaces the tach with a "Hybrid System Indicator" or HSI.

The HSI along with the 2 displays provide quite a bit of information, as much as I can recall seeing in a Prius. I've seen complaints about the Camry not supplying enough information but I suspect this has been fixed for the current generation. I'm not that fimiliar with the Prius having only been in a few and only for a short time so I couldn't say for sure.

I use the HSI for several things, this drag businness being one. Perhaps the most important use of the HSI is that you can tell very precisely how much throttle you can apply before it is likely EV will end and the ICE will start. A fine line changes color just above the word ECO. Stay below that color change and the Camry will usually stay in EV, go above and the ICE will come on nearly every time. If the battery is either very full or very empty this could change the results.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding hypermilers....

While I was achieving over 80 MPG in my Civic Hybrid (on one 1000 mile tank, extreme driving techniques) another guy (KORSAB or something like that) was getting 100 MPG in his Prius (not sure which generation but it was years ago). Since the Camry is similarly rated I was hoping to achieve similar tanks but my best so far has been just under 70MPG. I'm not pushing the envelope as hard as I did back in the day but I don't think the Camry could ever hit 100 MPG on actual roads at any reasonable speeds. The Prius evidently can in spite of the similar EPA rating.

#6 CamryDriver, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Edited my post to non-hypermilers.
    A part of the fuel economy improvement seen between generations of hybrids is because the system software has gotten better at doing what hypermilers do, automatically. So the average driver can now get high MPG, but it also means the hypermiler has less techniques to apply that will actually increase how much over EPA they can get.

Take a look at the numbers for the Ioniq and Prius numbers at Fuelly. Hyundai hasn't had as look as Toyota to refine their hybrid system's operation, and the average fuel economy on the site is lower than the Prius, despite having a higher EPA rating. Yet, those with the best fuel economy with it are higher than the Prius' top values.

CamryDriver likes this.
  8. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree completely . My Civic was underrated so I could roughly double EPA. As you say the Camry is already accounting for some advantages in the EPA rating so there is less headroom to play with.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our gen 2 hycam hsi is analog. useful for what you say though. can't remember the gen1, i think it was similar

10. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That Prius driver's screen name was krousdb, but I'm not finding the crazy high mileage figures I remember. Back in the day RJBarlow and I were getting 80MPG in our Civics (for sure, got pics). The best Prius drivers were beating us by a fair margin as I recall.

11. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am imagining techniques:

• Getting a friend with a truck to push you
    • Having your car towed to uphill destinations and driving back down
    • Latching on to semis on the highway with a hood-mounted harpoon

bisco likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CamryDriver likes this.
  13. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CamryDriver and Tideland Prius like this.
  14. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    20190213_222718.jpg

This is a picture of my Civic with 1k miles on the tank at 85.9 MPG. Calculated was lower but still over 80.

The Civic would not automatically turn the engine off until the car was going 20 mph or less. The biggest gas saver was the FAS or Forced Auto Stop (We did not wait for the 20mph but manually killed the engine).

Another technique was driving with the load (allowing the car to slow going uphill and allowing the car to speed up going down). Also driving without brakes, light timing, some pulse and glide, along with just driving slowly. Face out parking and route choice also helped.

Mileage is the better the hotter it is outside so long as one does not use AC. That record tank was done in the heat of the Summer with no AC.

We all have our limits. I did not draft because I felt it was not safe. I'm sure many would think the FAS was not safe. Driving with no AC might not be safe for me anymore. I'm not advocating any of these techniques, especially any that might not be safe.

15. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The hybrid LE Camry has eliminated the FAS since it automatically and safely turns off the engine.