1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aggressive All Season Tire for winter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rockin Prius, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Rockin Prius

Rockin Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Agressive All Season Tire for winter?

I found a tire store within 30 minutes of me that can do all 4 mounted and all the other fees for 511.00 out the door which is 116/tire plus NYS tax.

The problem I have with "this" business... is the woman I spoke with said they are not making them anymore in some sizes, not sure if it is this size or not... but she has 4 left in the warehouse (first come first serve she noted before we hung up with each other). I asked if they were old and she said they can be up to 10 years old and be fine. Hmmmm NOT

Then there was Tireweb.com and I spoke with one of the sales people there and he can get them to me for 116/tire with no shipping or sales tax... I would just need to have them mounted locally.

I will just keep looking and see where I end up...

2. Rockin Prius

Rockin Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You might want to check TireRack.com for approved installers in your area. I noticed that they list several installers in your area that charge $16 per tire for installation and balancing.

The Nokians also seem like a great 4 season tire. But I'm curious, what were the factors leading to your choosing the Nokians over the Hankooks? The Nokians are rated lower in snow and ice, and they cost 45% more than the Hankooks.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I bought mine locally at an independent car service location when they were having a good sale. Tires like this are stocked in our area.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nokian WRG2s for me (we're running on the 1st gen WR). 2 winters ago, we had 40cm of snow and it took days for the main streets to get plowed. Aside from the low ground clearance (esp. with 4 ppl on board), the WRs performed quite well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rockin Prius

Rockin Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My main concern is having to put on a size different than the OEM size that came with it. :confused:

I know you detailed the differences that this will make... and they were very small... but I do wonder if it may cause other problems.

Another positive for the Hankooks I see in the ratings... show the Hankook better in the tread life rating also.

In your opinion should the different size (195 vs 185) be a concern on my part or is this something that is common place?

I was looking down the list and the Cooper Lifeliner GLS seems to have some good winter qualities also and I can get them locally.... ohh boy another choice!

Thanks again,
    Ernie

7. gak27

gak27 Prius, Take Two

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Another WRG2 user here...put them on before winter last year...much more confidence-inspiring than the Integritties (who would have thunk it?)...really like them so far...

Chose these since 1) they were available locally, 2) reputation of Nokians esp. the winter tires and 3) didn't know about the Hankooks...

Greg

8. Rockin Prius

Rockin Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks Greg... I am overwhelmed with positive responce the WRG2's are getting here... I see your in Ohio so you see snow too... so that means a lot... I really think that they will be the ticket for us.

9. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have a 2007 Prius and replaced the OEM tires last Fall with the WRG2's. I now have confidence in driving in snow with my Prius here in Massachusetts. So, I highly recommend them also. A set of 4 with balancing and mounting cost me $700+. So the price other people are indicating are great prices. There are not that many Nokian tire dealers around me but that seem to be the price last year. Have the prices dropped because when I was researching these tires on this forum that seemed to be the going price last year? Anyway I recommend these tires. Best tires I have ever owned.

1 person likes this.
  10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

When I had my '04 Prius, the Integrity tires were absolutely horrible in a surprise Fall snow event the first year I had the car. I tried studless Dunlop Graspic DS-2 and Yokohama Ice Guard 10: both were much better than the Michelin Harmony and light years better than the Integrity on snow, and better on ice

I then went back to a studded directional tire, the Goodyear Nordic, which is sold at Canadian Tire quite reasonably and is the same as the Goodyear Ultra Grip 500 sold in Scandinavian countries

I'll never ever drive a non-studded tire in winter conditions again. The slight noise from the tire was well worth the vastly improved snow and especially ice traction

Ditto for my FJ. I had no choice but to run studless Toyo Open Country G-02 Plus the first couple of winters, as Nokian was sold out in the 265 75 16 size I needed.

Last summer I finally got 4 of the factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 Sport Utility tires. Put them on a couple of days before freezing rain hit, and never looked back

Folks who drive pickem up trucks or SUV's think they don't need a dedicated winter tire. They are wrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

wow... yeah I paid $440 back in Dec 2007 for the WR (unless the WRG2s are that much more expensive) OTD incl. balancing.

12. Rockin Prius

Rockin Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

They are expensive ! I am looking at one dealer (closest to me 32 miles away) and they have me at 511.00 out the door (all taxes/fees included with that number)

Or I may grab them on line for 116/tire delivered for a total of 464.00 but then I need to have them installed which I got a number of 40.00 from a buddy that works at a dealership that will do it for me on the side... so I am still at 504.00

I will probably go with the dealer (if she still has them in stock... first come first serve... see earlier post hahaa)

Anyways no matter what you paid it appears you have a darn good tire from the responses I have received here on them!

13. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My 2 cents... I the WRG2 is not even close to as good a performer in the snow as the WR. I had 4 WRs on my 06 Prius for 3 winters, and they were fantastic tires (all year round). Then someone hit my right front end and blew that tire (along with causing over $11,000 in other damage). The repair shop replaced both front WRs with WRG2s. I was really disappointed in the new tires. They had nowhere near the grip of the WRs.

When I wore the WRs on the back wheels out, I rotated the WRG2s to the back and put on some Hankook Optimo H727s on the front. I've been through a New England winter with them, and can say that they are way better than the WRG2s, and possibly just as good as the WRs were (which is saying something). And no mileage hit - better mileage than the WRG2s.

I just picked up 2 more H727s today to put on the front, and will rotate the ones with 10,000 miles on them to the back. $72 plus tax/tire. Picked them up at the Tire Rack distribution center in Windsor, CT (was in the neighborhood anyway and saved the $20 shipping).

1 person likes this.
  14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I, and MANY others here, have been running 195/60R15 tires after we got rid of the OEM 185/65R15 Integrities.

I have no concerns whatsoever with running 195/60R15 tires.

In fact, if my TripleTreds had been available in the OEM 185 size, I still would have opted for the 195/60R15 size because of the better handling and braking promised by the wider tread.

For example, my educated guess is that the wider and better TripleTreds reduced my dry and wet 60-0 mph braking distances by at least 10-12 feet. See Consumer Reports' road tests of a Gen II Standard Prius with 185/65R15 Integrities and a Gen II Touring Edition Prius with 195/55R16 Bridgestone Turanza El-400s ... the Touring Edition's 60-0 mph braking distances were 10 to 12 feet shorter than the Standard Prius's. See also Consumer Reports' ratings of the dry and wet braking of the Touring Edition's Bridgestone Turanza El-400s versus the TripleTreds and the Hankooks' ratings which were even better than the Turanzas'.

15. Rockin Prius

Rockin Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks to all that helped me on this journey!:D

We have decided to go with the Nokian WRG2's.

I did find... by chance... an extended friend of the family... who is retired and is a Nokian Dealer, 1/2 mile from my house !

488.00 out the door... :D

Again thanks to all that supplied information!
    Ernie

16. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hi All,

Does anybody know anything about the Nokian eNTyre (entirely NEW Tyre) ?

17. Rockin Prius

Rockin Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If you read all the posts.... they all point (those that recommended the Nokian's) to the WGR2's :cheer2:
    I did not look into them(eNTyre) as the WGR2's were so widely recommended and being used by so many of the members that responded. :)

Sorry!

18. AKMARK

AKMARK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just picked up some Nokian Entyres in 195/65R15 for my 04. In Alaska they cost me $436 out the door. They are VERY quiet and so far the handling is much better than the 185s I took off. Lots of good features and earth friendly manufacturing in these tires. They are still new so no idea on the MPG yet. Will try to update after a few weeks.

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The Entyre looks like a nice all-weather tire that should get good MPG and perform well in dry/wet conditions. The tread design is not as aggressive as that in the WRg2 so it would be a bit quieter, but not do quite as well in snow/ice conditions.

JeffD

20. terry2336

terry2336 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven through 2 Maine winters with Goodyear Assurance Fuelmax tires on my 2005 Prius. I've gone through blizzards on hilly windy unplowed roads and never had a problem. I've been wondering why everyone says the 2005 has problems in snow. Its one of the better winter cars I've driven.
    Terry