1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aggressive brakes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 05PreeUs, Feb 19, 2017.

1. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is often reported that the G2 Prius and maybe others as well, can suffer from "aggressive" brakes while stopping. After much reading on PC and elsewhere and with a good understanding of hydraulic brake function, I decided to embark on a mission to discover why this would be.

A few relevant facts:
    - Prii do not provide stopping power based on brake pedal PRESSURE, but rather brake pedal DISPLACEMENT
    - The HCU style of brake control is mostly electric
    - Prii can suffer from the same wheel-end maladies as any other vehicle (loose bearings, stuck caliper, shoe adjustment, etc)

As our 05 Prius displayed this annoying behavior, but not overly so, I decided to make a few checks. All wheel bearings were found to be serviceable with no abnormal noise or play in them - jacking up one wheel at a time :( We use the parking brake regularly, and it holds solidly well above reaching the floor, so rear shoe adjustment is good (I should have verified this when I checked the bearings, but was not thinking ahead). Lastly, to eliminate the potential of the front caliper slides being sticky, I decided to make a FULL brake application while parked. Upon moving the car, the aggressive brake application was IMMEDIATELY remedied, it was obvious that what ever had been causing it was no longer in play.

I suspect that because most, if not all stops, are with a very light (low pedal displacement), the inboard front pads are doing most of the work. This is actually quite common on vehicles operated "conservatively" and something experienced mechanics could look for in terms of uneven pad wear.

One thing to mention about a FULL brake application is that if you have rusty brake lines, or degraded hoses, you WILL be exposing them to full system pressure - something not common except during emergency braking maneuvers. Therefore, it is possible to burst a line or hose, if it has been weakened by time and the elements. I however, would rather know this while parked in my driveway than as I am passing under the rear bumper of a big-rig :(

In the end, uniform braking performance has been restored and a closer inspection of the calipers and caliper slides is on the schedule for the next available opportunity.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does prius have x brake lines in case one blows?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty sure yeah, all cars are like that?

Our 2010 very infrequently seems to lose ALL brake modulation, just after start-up (doesn't matter if warmed up or not), and in reverse. First time it happened I was backing up in a parallel parked spot: thought for sure I'd HIT the guy behind, the stop was so abrupt. Only lasts maybe 30 seconds.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To my knowledge, they are NOT cross split (Opposite F&R like Volvo and a few others), but have a traditional F-R split.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouch. if the fronts went, there isn't much left.

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly! :(

But it is not as bad as before ABS, because at least you can get the greatest effect from the rears possible, instead of just skidding uncontrollably to disaster.

bisco likes this.
  7. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's good to do an occasional friction stop by slipping into neutral at about 40 mph and stopping. This eliminates regen and forces the car to use the brakes.