1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air bag helper spring install

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Yippeekyaa, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMG_6330.JPG IMG_6331.JPG IMG_6333.JPG IMG_6334.JPG IMG_6335.JPG IMG_6336.JPG IMG_6337.JPG IMG_6338.JPG Installed the firestone helper air bag kit in the rear coil springs. This was the second time installing the kit in a Prius. First was a 2011. Total time 45 minutes. Found a shortcut that simplifies inserting the bag in the springs. By removing the one bolt at the end of the lower control arm the entire spring can be easily removed. This bolt is not one of the camber bolts so it doesn't change the suspension geometry by removing/installing the bolt.

Important note!!!

Mark the spring location before removal. I used some nail polish. Put it back exactly like it came out.

25psi when I'm towing my tiny camper keeps the car level and no more high beam flashes from oncoming traffic. 10 psi when not towing seems to be the most comfortable. Ymmv. Feel free to ask questions.

ydpplqbd, MTN, Burna J and 2 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great job, thank you!(y)

3. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't think I am interested, but congratulation! Neat job, with good information re
    maintaining the spring location.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. kikik

kikik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi there, is there a reason you left the top plate off?