1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air bag lights, and codes.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by adamace1, Dec 28, 2012.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does the car store a code if the asir bag lights comes on and then goes off the next time i start it up? Would the dealer be able to see the codes or will they tell me the light needs to be on?

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure about Toyota, but on other cars most codes (even if the problem seems to go away) will be stored on the ECU for 7 start-up and shutdown cycles. On the 8th shutdown without a recurrence, it will be cleared from memory. If the problem is persistent, the history keeps getting stored for up to 7 occurrences. On some cars, there's a way to clear old codes yourself - at least my prior car did.

For an airbag error, it would be best to have this looked at. I'm sure it would still be covered under warranty.

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 1,000 miles left of warranty on the airbags. I went there today. It did save the code.

b1852 possible faulity connection at the front left drivers seat. They checked connections and cleared codes. I guess i will see what happens. about 5 months ago i got the light and it wouldn't go off so i checked the connections under the drivers seat and then the light went off. So i highly doubt they fixed it. But i do have this service visit so if it comes back on after my warranty runs out i can fight having to pay anything cause they didn't fix any thing.

4. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the error comes back and the dealer won't fix it after the warranty runs out, you should contact the regional office about it. That's potentially a deadly situation as there is a deployment air bag in the side of your seat. If it doesn't deploy during a side impact accident, your life is at risk. I'm surprised about this as I've had my driver's seat out for a project and those connectors are practically fool-proof. Maybe there's a dirty contact or a faulty clip on the connector?

5. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea it could be alot of things. The seat has the thing that weighs you to see how hard to deploy the front airbag. The side air bag in the seat. Ect. The wires and clips are the cheapest looking i have ever seen in my life. If someone had a bottle under their seat and move the seat foward and back i can see it smashing/bending the conections.