1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air bag sensor recall for 2016 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Elektroingenieur, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    U.S. Press Release: “Toyota Recalls Certain Prius and Lexus RX, NX Vehicles,” January 31, 2018:

The involved vehicles have air bag systems where an open circuit could be created over time. If this were to occur, the air bag warning light will illuminate and the side and curtain shield air bags and/or front air bags may not deploy.​

Toyota.jp: アルファード、プリウスなど 9車種のリコール

Japan MLIT: リコールの届出について(トヨタ アルファード 他)

At this writing, the Part 573 notice hasn’t yet been posted to NHTSA’s site.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was just posted in the PRESS in Australia - they specified cars "... built between May and December 2015 ..." (ie well before mine).

3. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read on another website it affects prius's possibly up to March 2016, which is getting very close to when Mine was made. Another article simply stated 2015 - 2016 model years.

RCO likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this déjà vu all over again? (n)

bisco and robsnyder20 like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just read it this morn in usa today. if it affects mine, i'll just add it to the rest of my unfulfilled prius recall pile. toyota doing a bang up quality job these days.(y)

RCO likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who was it said, if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

bisco likes this.
  7. TorqueNews

TorqueNews Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the complete list of yesterday's Prius recall. It's big, many cars are involved. But apparently the fix is simple, reports Torque News. "For all involved vehicles, Toyota says its dealers will inspect the serial number of the sensors and replace them with new ones, if necessary. As required by federal law, this fix will be at no cost to customers."

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have a Gen 4?:confused:
    Or you just trolling about the recalls? ;)

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whoops, i must be hypersensitive to them.:cool:

padroo, Tande, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  10. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JTDKARFU6 blah blah seems safe. Mine was built mid-March 2016 and doesn't appear on either airbag related recall.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I checked today and my first-in-Southern-California 2016 Prius is part of the recall. It says no fix yet. Nervous? Not really...

Safety Recalls:
    Title
    Safety Recall J0F (J1F) - Interim Notice Certain 2016 Model Year Prius Airbag Sensor
    Status
    Remedy Not Available
    Description
    The involved vehicles have airbag systems where an open circuit could be created over time. If this were to occur, the airbag warning light will illuminate and the side/curtain shield airbags may not deploy. Airbag non-deployment could increase the risk of injury to the occupants in the event of a crash. If this were to occur, the airbag warning light will illuminate and the side/curtain shield airbags may not deploy. Airbag non-deployment could increase the risk of injury to the occupants in the event of a crash.
    Remedy
    Toyota is currently preparing the remedy for this condition. When the remedy becomes available, Toyota will send an owner notification by first class mail advising owners to make an appointment with their authorized Toyota dealer to have the airbag sensors inspected and replaced with new ones IF NECESSARY at NO CHARGE.
    For answers to frequently asked questions, please click here.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be more cost efficient to 'fix' them before they leave the factory. they seem to have forgotten demmings teachings.

RCO likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They likely made some change during 2016 that did resolve it at the factory. Otherwise my 2017 would have been recalled too. Since the problem occurs after some time, they likely did not know of it because their time machine is broken.

RCO likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even problems that occur over a short period of time are due to defective design, build or assembly.

15. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    This will be the 2nd airbag recall for the early 2016 Prius airbag. I had my right passenger-side airbag replaced in March 2017 for the first recall. Hopefully, this fix doesn't require disassembly of the dash like the first one did. I had to have my dealer twice check that they had properly reset various cables for the electronic displays (radio, GPS) before everything was right.

Although it hasn't risen to the level of recall, these early models also lack the ability to switch units between metric and English units. Apparently this was based on a misunderstanding of regulations regarding user-modifiable options and is hardware implemented.Since later assembled USA Priuses can change units, it would be nice if Toyota could provide that fix (replacement of a chip or hardware board (?)) while the cars are in for this recall.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

17. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As far as I know, the recall work instructions haven’t been published yet. From information in the Repair Manual, however, if the only parts to be inspected or replaced are the front and side airbag sensors shown in the two drawings published in Japan, not the airbag ECU assembly, then disassembly of the instrument panel shouldn’t be needed. The front airbag sensors can be replaced without removing any other parts; for the others, it’s necessary to remove parts of the front doors, rear seat, and interior trim.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My car won't get either air bag related recall.

However, it has the units problem. There's a little more than software needed, the dash would need to be taken apart, because the indicator that's supposed to display on models that can change units is not there.

I'd like to have the units problem fixed on my car. It was built mid-March 2016.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This recall is now posted on NHTSA’s site as campaign number 18V085000; the Toyota campaign number is J0F (J1F). There are several documents posted, but no work instructions yet:
    The report says the recall covers 7,956 Prius cars made between June 9 and December 25, 2015, though not all of these vehicles will have airbag sensors with serial numbers in the affected range. The part number of the sensor to be inspected (and if necessary, replaced) on the Prius is 8983A-47010, which is used in the left and right front doors and is listed in the catalog as having been superseded by part number 8983A-0E010.

20. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just got my letter today.

Argh....

Just hope I don’t develop “that rattle” after getting this taken care of.

RCO likes this.