1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Con only works on left vents

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jasminder, Jun 6, 2014.

1. jasminder

jasminder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I have a uk 2010 t4. The air con only works on the passenger left and centre left. From the RHS vents its just unrefrigerated. Ie -7c on the left vents and 0 ish in the right vents.

So when you start the car on a warm day you end up with actually hot air on the RHS and cold on the left (!)

The throughput/ flow of air on both sides is the same.

Would anyone have a stab at guessing what the issue might be ? The air filter seems ok.

Many thanks.

2. Josh Kalina

Josh Kalina New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a GPS or touch screen in this model? Or just regular HVAC buttons under radio?

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like you need a regas OR your system is caput.

Don't they say you lose 10% gas a year or something? Your car is 4 years old now. Get it looked at before it gets hot.

4. jasminder

jasminder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes I have a touchscreen / gps / reversing camera etc.

It was regassed by main dealer 3 weeks ago. They said all grand, but it was clearly not, they were closing though so I had to leave. The air on left is definitely refrigerated. They have welched on the warranty now (found out today) so just trying to ascertain how much its going to cost to fix :-(

5. Josh Kalina

Josh Kalina New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately on 2010 models and up you can not perform a self diag mode to give up codes for HVAC, without hooking up a good scanner and going thru a blend door actuator test. It seems to me what your issue is a blend door behind the dash for dual climate zones. I see this quit often. Once you find the bad actuator the part is around 40 bucks but the labor can vary depending on what door is bad... From 150 to 600 bucks! USD

jasminder and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  6. jasminder

jasminder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Many thanks indeed, very helpfiul answer again. Cheers. Once I find out what it was I will update the thread.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your Prius have dual zone HVAC over there?

8. jasminder

jasminder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It does now ! But actually , not sure to be honest, there is no indication that it has different zones in the controls.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The HVAC control usually shows right and left temperatures if it was dual zone. From looking at an on-line parts catalog, there two actuators on the outside of the HVAC module, one for temperature and one for the modes. It doesn't sound like that's the problem, it sounds like it's an internal door problem in what Toyota calls the evaporator assembly. It also seems to be pretty expensive.

10. jasminder

jasminder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

11. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have found out that I have a blend door problem on my 2010 and no heat as a result. The dealer wants $2900 to fix the problem including 13 hrs labor. You mentioned that you see this problem often. Is this the same type of problem? Can you characterize or quantify how common of an issue this is? The dealer said that the manufacturer said that there have only been three vehicles (perhaps only Gen 111) that have had this problem. I am planning to talk to Toyota corp.