1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air conditioner blows warm when stopped

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drive2much, Jun 26, 2011.

1. creature0077

creature0077 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm having the exact same problem as drive2much. I've been in a front end collision with a tire and a recent one with a really hard rubber mat on the road. I suspect that might be the cause of the AC issues I've been having. Will take it to Toyota or some other place here in ATX.

Btw, beachbummm, he said he got the compressor replaced at Toyota.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Make sure that the radiator fans are blowing in the proper direction. They should be blowing in from the front, and out to the engine area. If the body shop mistakenly swapped the fans, then you will feel air blowing out the front. The fans are counter rotating, so there is a left and right handedness.

3. creature0077

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fan direction was one of the first things I checked. I also checked the gauges on the high and low sides. They are fine too. It seems that there is something wrong with the compressor or maybe expansion valve (i'm guessing here) because when I drive on the highway, the AC will get cooler. It's just when I stop that it doesn't cool anymore.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that is true of most any A/C system in really hot places. How is the condenser? Nice and clean?

5. creature0077

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never had a problem with the AC in warm places. It's always been cold no matter what. Yeah the condenser is new. It was replaced during one of my front end collisions a few years ago.

6. Amber W

Amber W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I believe the link you were looking for in regards to the person having the issues like this going only on a hill is thru this post I listed on my reply here.But what ended up being the fix?I have a Ford Escape that makes the very loud noise when the fans (what I assume is the fans) kick on and also gets hot when stopped but only in the beginning of the drive until the car is at a normal temp for the engine

Attached Files: