1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

air conditioning and mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by feethanddooth, Jun 9, 2005.

1. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Fast Driving + Heavy AC use = Big drop in MPG. That is something I know for a fact, because I've been doing both lately. As soon as I use just the fan or very limited AC use, it goes right back to the usual MPG figures.

2. Erick

Erick Member

Yep, that's my poison. My last tank was only 43mpg... Back in April when I first got her, she was getting around 49 per tank. I crank the AC around 69 or 70 and traffic has been less this month so I am driving pretty fast. I guess I have to re-learn how to drive my Prius...

3. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

I like the "antiprius" page. What kind of horsepower she got, or mpg for that matter? Looks impressive.

4. Erick

Erick Member

Thanks! Well, she is still in the shop after 2 years but she should be done in a few weeks. They are shooting for 1100HP at the wheels but we'll see. Only thing is, I'm not really into drag racing anymore so I will probably sell her and get something a little tamer like a 69 vette. Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread! Oh, and with the turbo turned up, she'll get MAYBE 7 mpg on 101 Octane. That's like $6 a gallon... Ouch! Not driving her to Vegas anytime soon!

5. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have to say, that only on 'cool' nights (lower then 86), do I ever really open the windows. So the A/C is almost always on. And it does not seem to affect my mileage as much as some have said here.

I am also looking forward to the fall around here, when it cools down to 77 (or lower) at night.