1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air conditioning gave up in Palm Springs, works in LA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Gil Dawson, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Brett E.

Brett E. New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever find a solution? I am new to this forum, interesting many people have had same problem but nobody posts actual solution to the problem or what ultimately fixes it.???

2. Brett E.

Brett E. New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

3. Brett E.

Brett E. New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you fix your prius air condition? If so, what was it? I have same problem.

4. Gil Dawson

Gil Dawson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My apologies for not having posted a fix, but I'm not sure what it was. Shortly after my last post, on another trip back from Palm Springs in August, the car died on the freeway: Check Engine light, among others, and loss of power. We managed to crawl in electric-only mode to a rest stop and parked it under a tree. After an hour in the shade and several bottles of water poured over and eventually into the radiator, it started up and ran fine.

We took it to the dealer. He replaced the Inverter Cooling Pump, along with a related thermostat and hose. Since then, the car -- and the A/C -- have worked fine on several more trips to PSP in the summer, even at 115°F up the Palms to Pines Highway.

So, what to conclude? PSP in the summer is a tough environment. Maybe the car has enough wisdom to shut off the A/C when heat threatens something else. I just don't know.

--Gil

5. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bad inverter pump? Car shuts the AC off first, I believe.