1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air conditioning noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by EricC, Jul 3, 2009.

1. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Buzzing sound when the AC is ON.

I heard buzzing once. I was very concerned until I remembered that I had closed the center vents earlier in the day. I opened them and the buzzing went away. So you might want to check your vents.

2. dragonslayer8228

dragonslayer8228 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Did replacing the compressor fix your noise issue? I went to the dealer I bought it from and discussed this with them and they told me it was normal in high heat. I thought ok maybe but when it did it at 75 degrees F ambient and didn't at 106 F I'm thinking they're pulling my leg. I'm going to talk to them again this weekend I hope it worked out well for you.

3. 91MR2turbo

91MR2turbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly, metallic airplane sound. We have that too. I haven't asked the dealer but sortof figure that unless it fails and since many folks have the same noise, unless there's a TSB it's "normal". It's not so bad with the windows rolled up and the ICE running :).

4. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I read that they use a rotary fully variable electric compressor which starts out a little noisy but quiets down after running for a while.Toyota claims it is 50% more efficient and is completely independent from the engine. This is good because running the AC won't rob power from the engine and it continues to work at the traffic lights when the engine turns off. I usually notice it when it is really hot out and I just turn on the car and the engine hasn't started yet. You may even hear it speed up after it first turns on to try to increase the cooling capacity. I can't really hear it any more after the engine starts.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I heard the compressor noise a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I guess I hadn't noticed it before because I don't usually get out of the car with it turned on and the AC running.

I took it to the dealer and the service manager hadn't heard it before either so we started two new Prius(s) that were on the lot. Both sounded just like mine when we turned their AC on, so we concluded it's normal. In fact it sounds like a muted version of the heat pump I have for my house, perhaps that noise is typical of scroll compressors?

Anyway, I was thinking If we could get the compressor to run whenever the car is moving slowly maybe we wouldn't need the government noise makers the NHTSA is getting ready to force on us? ;)

6. 91MR2turbo

91MR2turbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On a 78 degree morning with the target temp set to 72 it makes no noise. But when it's 95+, exactly what you said. When it's hot like this, after quite a bit of time (I'm guessing when the car has cooled down inside and less cooling work is required) the sound goes away.

I'd written this off as one of the odd mechanical noises this car makes by design e.g. along with the brake pump, brake pedal switch, inverter, etc. I thought there was a list of odd Prius sounds here someplace and had meant to look there for this one :).

7. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AirCon compressor is quite loud on my gen3 too. Can't hear it in the car but outside it is really noticable. Kind of spoils the silent stealth mode when creeping round the parking lot.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's reasuring to hear these comments as I too have experienced this noise. It is much worse when the interior of the car is hot (after being stood in the sun) and you first turn on the a/c. It is like a loud electrical type hum rather than a buzz.

I took mine to the dealers a couple weeks ago over this who confirmed it was indeed normal, but wasn't 100% convinced. However, after reading the above comments my mind is now at rest. :)

9. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GC How come blue line taxis don't mention your Prius?

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps for the same reason they don't show their management:
    [​IMG]

I noticed they seem to be very proud of their saloon and larger vehicles (you know, the 'American carriers.')

Bob Wilson

11. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The noise is directly related to the demand being made of the compressor. Kind of like the amount of noise from the engine being directly proportional to the demand put on it. I'm confident that, were you able to run a conventional automotive a/c compressor without using the ICE to power it, there would be similar noises present, but they are masked by the engine noise.

12. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's our government :D

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'm thinking because it's not silver or maybe it's because they're not as forward thinking as I am. :eek:

It is a sore subject (to me) and one which I had proposed and discussed prior to the new website. Perhaps it is something that will change in the near future and/or if there proves to be a demand for such vehicles. ;)

14. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They could have ECO as a section to go with Prestige, Saloon, Disabled Access, and 8 seaters. I'm pretty sure there is a niche market for ECO taxis. What you want is for someone who types eco taxi harrogate into google to get your taxi. :)

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are talking to the converted. Unfortunately some of my business partners are not converted - as yet! :( The argument is that I am the only one and as such there will be times when I am not available and as such we are unable to service the 'eco' work. I do believe an Eco or Green section will be added once there are a couple more hybrids on our fleet.

As they say - Watch this space. :)

16. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :focus: Not much chance to use the AirCon today. The British summer has arrived. :(

17. 91MR2turbo

91MR2turbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They're probably just as loud but I'm certain that my Honda A/C compressors don't have the metallic airplane buzz that this one has when under load. More of a jet engine whir vs the Prius turboprop buzz :). It seems also from the sound that the Honda (most?) compressors just cycle on/off rather than adjust for load - fairly loud all the time.

It's different enough that several folks are asking about this here and complained to their dealers, no?

johalareewi your comment about the British summer together with photo of your car with snow on it cracked me up :).

18. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just noticed this on my new 2010, it freaked me out. Normal?

19. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Buzzing sound when the AC is ON.

Mine does it, I've had the car for two days in the TX summer heat. Kill the A/C and no sound. Normal?

20. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If its a hum or buzz that sounds like an electrical substation, then yes it would appear to be normal! At least you're not alone if it's not.