1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air conditioning oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigblock67, Mar 17, 2022.

1. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is oil capacity in an air conditioning on am 02? Type oil?
    Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A 2002 (Gen 1) has a belt-driven compressor, so it does not need the magical high-voltage-safe oil the later generations need. So a Gen 1 uses ordinary ND-OIL 8 or equivalent.

Again, that's only for a Gen 1. Starting with Gen 2, the high-voltage electric compressor needs ND-OIL 11.

I haven't quickly found the quantity spec. It's probably in there somewhere, but somebody like @lech auto air conditionin probably can find it quickly.

3. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. Thanks for this info

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Didn’t know this in my Gen2 for over 70K been running HC12A and reg r12 AC oil almost blow Ice out vents. Oh well better leave it alone it’s almost summertime.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I celebrate your good fortune, while not encouraging others with the electric compressor to try to match it.

For anyone who has mistakenly used the wrong oil in an electric system, there's been an encouraging report about correcting it in time for less than the worst-case cost.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oil in system is measured by weight with an expensive machine that evacuates the system and weighs the Oil and refrigerant... Without having these measurement you're likely to get the amount of oil you put in wrong, which could lead to more expensive repairs in the near future.

7. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You are correct DENSO ND – 8 PAG oil

total quantity I cannot remember off the top of my head I am not by a resource right now I’m answering this out in the field but it was somewhere around 2.77. To 3. + something ounces I cannot remember ounces off the top of my head what she would not need this entire quantity unless you were replacing your entire system evaporator all lines everything had absolutely no oil in it would be the only time that you need the full quantity oil capacity.

I’m coming into this without reading the beginning of this

but if you were just changing some thing like a condenser because it was leaking only 45 mL in which when you buy us un a brand new Toyota DENSO brand condenser it comes with a small can of oil usually with it that has 45 mL.

and if it is an electric compressor then it’s the DENSO ND 11

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wife’s gen 3 Same. We need all the cold we can get in NC .. this is the commercially driven thing . I’m beginning to believe to not let em sit. This 10 and my 09 almost get no rest ever.our 13 has sat quite a bit family car to folks who were generally not trying to go anywhere. Then we started driving it like the other 2 fell on face in 22K or so.. guess my inverter oughta be on its way out I’m sure it’s not correct coolant in it .