1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

air conditioning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Holliston, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Bob Holliston

Bob Holliston Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I installed a used A/C compressor in my 2007 Prius. Now I'm thinking (after reading up) I should take it back out, empty the oil (if any) and put in the correct amount. How much and what kind? Thanks, Bob

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you charge it up? If you did, you can purchase a AC Pro Hybrid Oil recharge can (Under no circumstances use non hybrid oil, it is conductive and will short the compressor motor!). If you didn't you need to add 10 cc of ND-11 or equivalent oil, such as Car Quest, it is part # TSI CQ16136.
    Read more: A/C Oil (ND-OIL 11) ? | PriusChat

3. Bob Holliston

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly what I wanted to know. I have not charged the system yet. The compressor is used and has an unknown amount of oil. The plan is: Pull the unit back out, empty it, install 10cc of hybrid oil, reinstall it then charge the system. Is there a better way? Thanks, Bob

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is your level of expertise on ac please? Do you have a vac and a set of gauges?

5. Bob Holliston

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None actually. I generally trade stuff like charging the A/C at the local auto shop for carpenter work or airplane rides. Thanks, Bob

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From the A/C service manual for replacing a compressor with a new one:

INSPECT COMPRESSOR OIL
    (a) Gradually discharge inert gas (helium) from the
    service valve when replacing the electric inverter
    compressor with a new one. Drain the following
    amount of oil from the new electric inverter
    compressor before installation.
    Standard amount:

(Oil capacity inside new electric inverter
    compressor 100 + 15 cc (3.52 + 0.53 fl.oz.)) -

(Remaining oil amount in the removed
    compressor assembly with the motor (with
    motor compressor assembly))

= (Oil amount to be removed before installation)

The idea is that there is some amount of oil left in the system, so this compensates for that amount. But I would want to know the entire amount in the system as it left the factory also, which I don't see listed.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just went through this. In my situation, I took the car to the dealer, had them evacuate the system and measure the amount of oil in the system, fill it up and recharge. Total cost was $230. Well worth it to me to give me peace of mind.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats best. Have it done by a pro because a new compressor requires new dryer, complete evac, full charge with proper oil and a complete leak test. You cannot just install a compressor & charge it up because it may run just long enough to burn out the compressor and then your in trouble because that contaminates the entire system

9. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Although it is always recommended to change the receiver/dryer, it is not always necessary. The drier contains a descicant to remove any water vapor that sneaks into the system. When the system is vented to air, moisture will get in. If it is exposed to air for a long time, the desicant will saturate. If you do not leave it exposed to air for a long time, it can be left in place. Remember, the system is pumped down first, which will remove the moisture. The higher the vacuum you pull and the longer you let it stabilize for, the less moisture will be left to deal with. Over the years, I have repaired several AC systems where I had the system exposed to air for a few hours, and did not change the dryer. I never had a problem with these systems after the repair. On the Prius, the dryer is part of the condensor, but it is changeable by itself. It costs about $65. If the OP drained the compressor, then all the oil should be replaced. The 10 cc I mentioned is what Steve Woodruff recommended that I use when I rebuilt my car. I did not change the compressor. The OP said his compressor is used, and he doesn't know the amount of oil. It seems a guess at best as to how much to put in.

10. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the system is not exposed to air for very long and you drain and measure the oil from the old compressor then drain and refill the new one with the same amount you should be fine. Most manufacturers give specifications on how much oil needs to be added depending on what components were changed.

Attached Files:

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This guy has 2 separate threads going same subject. Surprised the mods allow it. In his other thread he states the compressor was cracked. I can only assume it was vented for a long time. But if I'm going to all the trouble of replacing the compressor it would be stupid not to put a dryer in too.

12. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it was crashed in the front it might already have one. One way or another, these situations are usually a mess.