1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Filter for Traction Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Yaesu, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Yaesu

Yaesu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After looking at a couple of videos about the necessity of air filter for the traction battery (2010), I ordered one. I wouldn't call it a filter, I'd call it a screen. I can see that it will stop large debris from entering the air duct, but fine dust will pass through the screen. No animals ride in the vehicle. I can't imagine that the filter is much more effective than the vent cover. Any thoughts?

#1 Yaesu, Dec 18, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    without animals and the like, my fan is perfectly clean after 85,000 miles. just a very light layer of solidified dust, which i can't see would affect anything

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah this is a big bunch of silliness I have some more dust in my car than most people will have in a lifetime of two vehicles and every time I pull the trim out of the back of the car to look at the HV fan it's beautiful white impeller is still beautifully white not even gray nothing I can't imagine stuffing a screen or anything in front of my air intake next to my seat which no one ever sits back there anyway not human or animal but there's a lot of dust in the car rarely gets cleaned it's a service vehicle I mean inches of sand on the floor sometimes that sort of thing

4. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my cooling fan was filthy at 70k miles

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You still want to check on the fan. I’d say the filter might give you some idea what the fan condition will be, but yeah won’t stop everything. If it did that might be bad.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The foam will stop most of the dust/dirt. Easily rinsed with water.

Attached Files:

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My wife's 2010 with solar roof and JBL that was the first thing that was wrong with that car was the hybrid battery because it had been sitting in a car lot or a CarMax or been making the rounds The minute I took the battery out I noticed that the fan was caked full of gray dust on the white impeller so I cleaned all that out The black ductwork was fine it was just on the impeller of the fan this was a no animal car. Then I put a believe it or not junkyard battery in the 2010 with the solar roof and all with its fan still attached to the junkyard battery cleaned it put it in the car The car's been in the service with DoorDash and all that nonsense for the last I don't know 3 years almost not a hiccup nothing 10,000 mi oil changes driven at least a hundred miles a day not a hiccup kind of funny actually.