1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Filter Testing Study

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by padroo, Dec 27, 2018.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About what I expected.....

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Me too. Those results pretty much mirror a similar test done about 30 years ago.

Parts originally designed for racing use often do NOT perform well "on the street".
    The objectives are different........or should be.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I could not correlate the colours to the bars, so cobbled this. Still not sure I've got it right; please comment if anything looks awry:

upload_2018-12-30_10-50-36.png

Addendum:

1. I see now, that the order of list at the right of the graph correlates with the bar graph: descending order of the list corresponds to left-to-right of the bars. Still, a little easier to read as I've edited.

2. I was thinking higher bars was better, ie: the right end bar was the best. See the opposite is true lol: the height of the bar represents the percent of particulate passed. Higher is worse, and the left end is the most restrictive. Maybe it might also reduce flow too much??

I'll stick with the Toyota filter. If I ever get around to changing it...

#4 Mendel Leisk, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It isn't just the amount of "dirt" passed but the size of the particles. An air filter is supposed to filter and so will always be a compromise between air flow and filtration. One reason why air filters are frequently much larger than the actual air intake to the engine.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a reason why the manufactures go with a paper filter over an oiled filter. A guy did a similar study at least a decade ago over on Bobistheoilguy web site. He just dropped different filters in his car and set up a clean filter down stream of the test filter to pick up any thing that got through the test air filter. He drove several thousand miles and changed out the filters as well as the down stream catch all filter. It wasn't as scientific but he got similar results. It went by just by how dirty the down stream filter was.

I used a K&N back in the 90's and lost a Turbo over it. I probably drove with a K&N for maybe 50K-60K before my turbo seized. The inlet was filthy covered in an oily grime. Replaced the turbo went right back to a factory paper filter. Just for S&Giggles I pulled the inlet hose on the Turbo the day I sold the car. I had 128K on that replacement Turbo with a paper filter and inlet side of the compressor looked brand new.

7. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    OK ... So I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'.
    The "free" air and cabin filters I got from Toyota in OEM Toyota boxes ... are the flimsiest filters I've ever seen. The $6.50 cabin filter on sale at Advance looks physically hand-over-fist higher quality from the get-go.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The filtration graph is great and all, but I think a more useful measure is a fraction of particles passed compared to the flow rate of the filter not at steady state (since the author notes that the differences in flow rate at steady state are effectively negligible).

I'm particularly interested in what the delta-P (pressure difference) is when the vacuum is varied (like you would expect under WOT in a turbo application). You would expect that a better flowing filter would yield more immediate engine response and quicker spool rate.