1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air freshner destroyed my Air vent grille!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jesart, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jesart

jesart Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

I got some bad news. :(

My Inner right Air vent grille next to the glove compartment, was destroyed by my air freshener. I parked my car at work in an open lot (where I normally park), and noticed during my lunch that the air freshener oil was leaking. The oil spilled on the air vent and literally ate the top layer and stained it. I couldn't take the stain out. No joy, tried everything and the darn thing looks ugly. I called the several Toyota dealerships and the cost for a new one is $157.00 :eek: . Can you believe that?? :angry:

Part# 55680-47020 Air vent grille - Inner Inner right 2006 (REGISTER ASSY, INSTR)

So I did a search on the internet and found the same OEM part for $113 at Toyota Parts Center: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=214591

Does anyone know where I could get it cheaper? I am so upset. I would have never imagined that the scented oil would cause damage.

[attachmentid=7437]

[attachmentid=7438]

[attachmentid=7439]

Attached Files:

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I say $113 is as cheap as your going to get it new. You might be able to find one at a junkyard cheaper.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang :(

I can't help ya but wanted to thank you for posting this so others may be wary of that junk in the future.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You may also want to call the manufacturer of the air freshener and tell them their defective product has damaged your car. See if they will pay for the replacement.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That panel comes off pretty easily; perhaps you could creatively
    sand its face down and repaint it. Or use more of the air-freshener
    oil and turn the pattern into some entertaining abstract art...
    _H*

6. just_marci

just_marci New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Apr 11 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]421887[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt it. Most oil-type products do carry warnings that they can damage finishes.

I did find this one online at http://www.glade.com/car-air-fresheners/ and it appears to be the same item. They list the precautions and "Liquid could damage some car surfaces" is in there.

7. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(just_marci @ Apr 12 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]421973[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on why it leaked. It surely isn't supposed to. If a product defect caused the leak they might cover some of the costs so it's worth asking. However if it was user error, such has using the wrong refill, then it's not likely they'll be responsive

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if u search the forums, you should see a post by me, as the same thing happned to me a couple months ago. i also too had to purchase a new air vent. its pretty easy it just comes off with a putty knife, you pull it very carefully.. and a new one just snaps in..

my damage was worse, it streaked almost all the way down the vent cover with two
    lines of streaking. but yours looks awfully close to the stereo !!.

oh yeah here it is
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=30102&hl=

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jesart @ Apr 11 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]421756[/snapback]</div>
    Well you could cover it with that burlwood stuff....