1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Freshner Ruined My Dash - Need Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Joe Schmo, May 18, 2017.

1. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I bought some oil diffuser air freshners for my 2015 Prius which leaked and ate the silver paint off my dash above the cd player. I actually made a claim with the manufacturer so I'm waiting to see if they are going to reimburse me for the damage. I called Toyota and they said the part is $135 but the parts dept. couldn't tell me what the labor would cost. I'm thinking about doing it myself. Oil Damage on Dashboard.jpg It seems like it would be easy but I've never replaced something like this. I attached a picture of the damage.

Can anyone advise me how to remove this one part? I already have several types of plastic emblem removal tools.

Thanks.

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    get it off with one of those & snap the new one in/

[​IMG]

msimmers likes this.
  3. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I have but not sure where the hinges are to pop out. Are there any hidden screws on this piece?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Chilton says first you remove the trim around the shift lever. That just pulls straight up. Disconnect the connectors going to the switches on it. Then you remove the trim piece that surrounds the cup holder and goes upward to the right of the environment control panel and radio. That just pulls off. 4 screws hold the cup holder assembly in - remove that. Then the bezel around the radio can be pulled off. There are 14 clips, no screws.

See attached PDF, steps 6-9.

Attached Files:

#4 NavyLCDR, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  5. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Once the part arrives I'll try switching it out.

6. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking at that procedure, I don't see why you would need to remove the screws and the cup holder itself. But I haven't taken that side trim piece off yet. I need to because my head unit seems to be little loose and is not square in the bezel.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You don't need to. The cup holder just comes right out with the side piece, attached to the bottom of it.

I never use tools of any kind. Just more chance to mar something. The pads of your fingertips work fine to pull with. The starting piece (around the shifter) is the only one tricky to get underneath. On my 2010, I open the cupholder lid partly, stick a couple fingers through the gap above it, and push up on the shifter trim to pop that off. (I don't remember if the 2012 refresh changed the way that lid works, or if there's still a lid.)

Once that piece is off, it's easy to just pop each successive piece off with fingers.

-Chap

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can remove all of that without any tools. Get the plastic trim piece from a wreck and it should only cost about $10 or $20.
    As shown, you begin with the trim piece around the shift knob, which lifts straight UP. Then the piece around that trim piece lifts straight up and it's upper section you gently pry out of the dash. No tools needed.

9. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I'd juts put another air fresher over it and roll on. You won't see it with another one there and you don't have to worry about it ruining it again.