1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air horn Ok in terms of EMC ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by alekska, Aug 27, 2012.

1. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I'm thinking of installing a Nautilus compact air horn. I would use a relay and feed it from 12-V jumper terminal in the fuse box.
    Now, because it's a motor, should i worry about it introducing all kind of high-frequency noise on 12-v bus? Should I install LC filter next to the horn? Don't want fancy Prius computers and inverter to get damaged. Any thoughts from PriusChatters?

Thanks,
    - Alex

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The compressor for the horns is just a normal 12v electric motor so should not give problems.

You do not mention any fusing in your system and the only protection using the jumper point is a 125amp fuse at the 12v battery. Not a good idea unless the cable from the jump point you are intending to install can safely carry this. This point is also permanently live so any fault in the relay (stuck contacts) would mean the horns sounding continuously with no means of stopping them.

If you do intend using a fuse, the wire from the jump point to the fuse should be as short as possible, and the fuse should be in the same box as the jump point.

3. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks! Definitely will install the fuse in the box.
    - Alex

4. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a similar Stebel Bad Boy horn. Moisture is a killer on these, I potted the connections at the base of the horn and the relay connections. Point the opening down a bit if you can.

5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, that's a good idea. I had Nautilus on my motorcycle and once every several month I had to spray WD40 on it and then honk it, to prevent it from seizeing.

- Alex