1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Induction and Fuel Injector Service

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by southjerseycraig, Jul 22, 2015.

1. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I brought my 2010 II to the dealer for the 70,000 mile service. The service technician recommended air induction and fuel injector service, for a combined total of $360. The recommendation appears to be based on the age of the car and its mileage, not on any kind of examination.The vast majority of my driving is on expressways, and I am never in dusty conditions. Does the recommendation make sense? I assume I can put it off for at least 5000 more miles.

Looking forward, as usual, to the great help I find here.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only thing those services will clean out is your wallet.

look in your owners manual for toyota's service recommendations, and throw in a tranny oil change if you're gonna keep it over 150,000 miles.

Priusguy78213 likes this.
  3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ask if they also offer greenback vacuuming service to keep the reticule empty of any possible loose shekels.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, someone needs to make a boat payment, and you are being asked to contribute.

At 150,000 miles it may well be needed. Although Toyota warns that it may do more harm than good.

#4 JimboPalmer, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  5. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if the OP's engine needs an induction cleaning service or not, but there have been several threads and reports of clogged EGRs and intake manifolds on this site so it should not be arbitrarily dismissed as not needed. A BG induction system cleaning is a legitimate and effective solution for these problems. If I ever have symptoms of these problems, I will have an induction system cleaning done rather than dissemble and manually clean those parts. The BG induction service can be done by any shop that offers the service, for a lot less than $360.00, probably less than $150.00, depending on the severity of the clogging. I now have about 74,500 miles on my Prius engine without any such symptoms and don't plan to do this service at this time.

As far as cleaning injectors, an $8.00 bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, or equivalent, poured in the gas tank every 7,500 miles as preventive maintenance will keep them clean and operating properly.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do.
    It doesn't.
    This is (yet) another case of a dishonest dealer trying to pad a bill.

It goes something like this:

Maintenance: Anything that's on the schedule of maintenance.
    a.k.a. Upkeep.
    Maintenance is performed to 'maintain' the ability of the car to operate normally. For most cars, it's filters, fluids, and some wear items out to 100,000 miles.

Repair: Anything related to restoration to normal operation following a failure, damage, decay, neglect, etc. This, for me, would cover anything that the dealer wants to do to my car that's not on the schedule of maintenance as set forth in the owner's manual.

If the customer takes a car in for regularly scheduled maintenance, then one presumes that the car is operating normally.
    I'm just guessing here, but intake systems and EGR valves that get FODDED out usually result in overt symptoms......most notably (for Prius drivers) a reduction in fuel efficiency. If you drive a Camaro? You might notice other symptoms like a reduction in smoke from a WOT launch or an idle flutter.

I arbitrarily dismiss ANY dealer repair recommendation until I get an explanation and/or a second opinion.

For a Prius, the only deviations that I would recommend from the schedule of maintenance would be an increase in engine air filter replacements and proactively replacing the transaxle fluid about every 60,000 miles.

Good Luck!