1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

air intake up against the motor????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by RootBreaker, Jul 12, 2014.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok so I picked up my 2014 Prius 3 for my work commute.. doing good.. averaging way more than my Sierra. I have driven the car since Monday and have over 600 miles on it alread!

anyway while the guys at work were checking out the car we noticed the air intake... the opening is up against the motor.... practically... now wouldnt cold air which most cars have the hose come out to the front fender or radiator support produce better results? I know it is a Prius not a race monster but cold air is cold air even for our needs of MPG.... soooo I tried searching and couldnt find it but has anyone else thought this?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Warm air is for MPG, cold air is for HP. The Atkinson cycle engine used in the Prius pushes hot air back out of the cylinder into the intake tract, so you will never hsve a cold air intake. Additionally if you make the intake tract shorter, you may push fuel out under the hood and throw a code for bad mixture. Changing the intake can make your car louder, (as if this was a good thing) but not more fuel efficient.

Starbrand and Dylan Doxey like this.
  3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    WOW THANKS!!!!

hahahahahahaaa.. never journeyed on this side of the fence!!!! warm air for mpg.... smallest tire out of the other 2 vehicles in my driveway is 35" tires!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This works at any throttle position, but visualize full throttle. Since the throttle plate is parallel to the flow of air, the only two constraints on air flow are diameter of the intake tract, and the density of the air. Since fuel will be added to match air flow to get an ideal mixture, dense air flow will yield more fuel and HP, while less fuel and better MPG will occur with less dense air. If you are not at full throttle, to get the power you want you will open the throttle more with less dense air. This makes the throttle plate less of a restriction than in a traditional Otto cycle engine, so fuel efficiency is better 37% versus 25%. (Diesels have no throttle plate and get 40% fuel efficiency) The downside is that a Atkinson cycle engine has less HP per liter. 110 HP from a 1.8 liter engine is not impressive.

As a side light, the Prius heats the intake with engine coolant, in part to reduce air density. (and to enhance fuel vaporization)

And yes, for old 'car guys' it is hard to break old habits when looking for MPG, rather than HP. With the minor exception of Cruise Control, the Toyota engineers have made a mighty effort to think in a different way. You can improve the MPG by changing how you drive, but not by how the car drives, they did good!

#4 JimboPalmer, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    h4rdwire likes this.
  5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed and
    cruise control yielded 600 miles @ 59.1mpg......
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Silvertn350 likes this.
  6. h4rdwire

h4rdwire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great information.