1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air Intake Vent causing hybrid battery to overheat?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AZPriusdriver, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup. Our 2010 came without the Multifunction Display, and it's still too far from tactile, eyes-on-the-road for me. Pretty much every time we hit this stretch of along-the-coast highway, at night, the windshield starts to fog up. And to switch the Heat/Vent system from complete Auto mode to Heat/Defog, I've gotta take my eyes off the road, find a bitty, flush-mount button with a printed logo, then push it several times while watching my progress on a small LCD display. Do it too fast, and you zip by Heat/Defog, get to cycle through them again. Did I mention it's a windy road?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    imagine an 11" touch screen controlling everything?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm still struggling thru that 290 page Navigation/Entune Owners Manual!

The heck with the book. I just drove to a nice park, found some shade, and sat there for an hour and started punching buttons and going thru all the icons, and various screens, and all the adjustments, etc. It seems much easier when doing it "hands on."

But I'm not going to hook up my cell phone to the system. (I barely know how to work my iPhone, anyway!) I'm not going to make calls, receive calls, or do any texting while driving! (Nobody ever calls me anyway. But if I do get a call, they will just have to wait until I'm no longer in the car.) There are thousands of accidents out here in California, all related to texting, talking, being on the internet(!) and playing with that damn touchscreen!

Ok. I'm an "OG".... an Old Guy. :ROFLMAO:

AQUA-K and bisco like this.
  4. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah 4 models later (I have the 2016 Prius C) and I'm having the same issues. I've basically been told by my dealership to keep coming and replacing my air intake filters frequently ($190) and have them take apart my battery and vacuum it out ($400 for labor hours). The Prius design is not compatible to an everyday lifestyle. It is non-functional as an everyday car, basically, since I get an error message anytime I have anyone or anything in my backseat that inadvertently blocks the ill-placed air intake. I've only had my car for a year and I've already had to pay for cleanings and replacement filters (on top of the monthly deep clean/detailing I get in order to attempt, in vain, to prevent this problem). I didn't realize everyone and every make of the Prius was having the same issue for many years now. It sounds like Toyota hasn't listened to any customer reviews or complaints since the same issue is recurring for at least 4 years now. I've learned to grit my teeth and deal with it until I can sell my Prius. It's an unmanageable expense and not worth the headache of dealing with a car that only functions under the absolute best of conditions. I've recommended to anyone who asks to stay well away from the Prius family. Out of the 4 cars I've had, all different brands, this is by far the worst and the most costly in terms of maintenance. I'll be switching to the Honda Civic as soon as possible.

5. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't worry I have a dog and the same issues! Except I was told by the dealership that it was because of my dog that I'm having these issues even though I frequently vacuum my car. Apparently not just a dog owner problem!

6. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    That sure seems like hyperbole to me. I've been driving my Prius C for three years now and have never had a problem with the battery overheating or the intake getting blocked. Of course I don't have a dog (or other pet), so perhaps that's the crucial difference.

7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. retired_pvhs

retired_pvhs New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just sold a 2012 Toyota prius c with over 234000 miles, I have a dog and live on a dusty Kansas gravel road and never had any problems with the vent or an error message....but I tried to keep the inside of my car some what clean....it is called preventive maintenance....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ztanos likes this.
  9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    duplicate

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I get my car washed every 5k miles, at the dealership. I'm at 85,500 miles and never had an issue with overheating or fan clogging. I have three dogs and roll with the windows down almost every day.