1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

air leaking from upper side speker next to driver seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Autoconfig, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Autoconfig

Autoconfig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Past couple of weeks, when i drive car 45+ speed,I can hear wind sound from inside car even after closing all windows , i am getting sounds from next to driver seat upper side speakers, I tried 4 to 5 repair shops in miramesa(san diego) they are not able to fix the issue..

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Are any of those shops BODY shops ?
    Any chance that your front speakers are blown.....that is physically damaged ??

How long have you had the car; is this a new problem ??

3. Autoconfig

Autoconfig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I checked with body shops near to my house but no help somebody asking 200$ plus 60$ for hour charge and not giving exact how many hours they are going to fix, he is saying he dont have any idea, its been 2 months car with me, just day before i got this car, previous owner given to car detailing, other than that no accidents or damages, yes i think its new issue.

4. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And I think it probably is NOT new.....or unique to your car either.
    Wait a while and see what other responses you get from people with similar models.

I used to live where it occasionally got down to 10 below zero F and every car I ever had leaked air around "stuff" in the doors........that you didn't even notice until it got REALLY cold.

Bottom line is: If you really want a shop to take the time to look into it you are going to have to PAY them for their time.
    A couple of hours should get you a good diagnosis (not necessarily a repair though) and should cost you from $60 to $100 an hour depending on where you live.

xpcman likes this.
  5. Autoconfig

Autoconfig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    more ever, if i reach car speed more than 40 or 45+ starting air leakage sound noise, i am not worried to pay to fix the issue but mechanic saying he is not sure how many hours its going to be and no guarantee to fix the issue.

6. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Then you need to find a different "mechanic".....IE body shop.
    If more than one tells you that's just the way it IS, you should believe them.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps your door gasket needs replacing.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take a look at the side view mirror, under the housing. There should be clear tape covering the holes. If that tape is missing, that may cause the wind noise you are hearing.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When in motion, do you hear a howling type sound, that varies in loudness, but it's always there, w/ moments of silence? Do you notice the slower you drive or if stopped, silence, unless a big truck drives or a big gust of wind from a windy day producing a big air pressure differential, and you hear that howl again?

If YES, the seal on the driver side mirror isn't making a complete seal anymore, thus the wind noise comming into the car.

Three options.
    1) replace the side mirror seal.
    2) use expanding foam and spray on the inside behind the tweeter mount. Body shop did this and it took care of it 99% of the time.
    3) crank the volume, and over time you won't notice the sound anymore

SFO likes this.
  10. Autoconfig

Autoconfig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am not hearing any wind sound when i slow down and when stopped the car , i can hear wind sound when i am in 40 + speed but not to loud, only driver can hear that sound, if i press hard speaker with my hand i wont hear any wind sound.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why do you think you hear no sound when pressing on the tweeter? Your hand is applying the pressure so the small, sponge like seals, seal the air space gaps from the outer mirror. You will see the seals on the tweeter are flimsy. Release your hand, and the seals no longer seal the air gaps, thus the sound comming inside.

Options
    1) Tighten the bolt on the outer side mirror. I don't know what that torque value is right now.
    2) Consider replacing the side mirror rubber seal.
    3) Make your own tweeter seals by going to hardware store and buying rubberized weatherstripping.
    4) Consider expanding foam.

SFO likes this.
  12. Autoconfig

Autoconfig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    o

#12 Autoconfig, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  13. Autoconfig

Autoconfig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    IMG_2037.JPG

Finally I found the noise issue, I spent nearly 10 months to find out why i am getting is noise on front side driver side and passenger side windows noise.

underneath side mirrors there are 3 screw holes which covered by seals are torn out, I tried to use 3M tape that peeling off after some time or after car wash, again I am getting, suggestions are welcome.

#13 Autoconfig, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  14. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its the seals on the outer mirror. Like weather stripping on your home door, it becomes too compressed over time and is unable to maintain an airtight seal, allowing the outside elements to enter (air, water).

Take a look at the attached pictures of the factory mirror.
    Old broken OEM mirror, the seals are FLAT.
    OLD Mirror & Seal.JPG

New OEM mirror, the seals are thick (approx. 1/4inch). Should have taken a side view to capture the thickness.
    New Mirror & Seal.JPG

Get some foam "rubberized" weatherstrip at your local big box home improvement store.
    Something like this from Lowe's will work ($2.57): Shop Frost King 0.375-in x 10-ft Black Closed-Cell Foam Window Weatherstrip at Lowes.com

The "tape like" seals covering the screws, on the bottom, could possibly add to some wind noise, albeit slightly. My money is on the majority of wind noise entering the passenger cabin from the excessively compressed side mirror seals.

SFO likes this.
  15. baciaGuy

baciaGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the tip exstudent. This wind noise drove me nuts for a month after buying a used 2009. I tried several other alleged fixes, but the seal between the mirror and the tweeter was the culprit. Replacing it with foam weather stripping completely eliminated the wind/whistling noise

16. Julienyc

Julienyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip exstudent.
    I bought a 2007 one last month and I have this noise on both sides and I pretty much tried everything too: 1) Taped the side mirrors screws hole (which were actually surprisingly not cracked..) 2) tried to bend the doors inward to improve sealing 3) cleaned the gaskets and lubricated them 4) added adhesive foam sealing around the door frame 5) put some duct tape on the edges of the window and closed them back to tighten the sealing. Tried all that on just one door first.

I hope your solution is the one! the one last thing left! Driving me nuts... :)

SFO likes this.