1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air pump for filling tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Metrolens, Dec 3, 2015.

1. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got the Viair and can recommend it. Seems to be the brand of choice on off-road forums. 15 amps is the rated draw at max pressure of 150 lbs. I believe it draws around 12 amps at normal pressures. You should use it with the car running especially a car with a motor cycle size battery. Also, you can't damage the car as the cigarette lighter is fused.

Metrolens likes this.
  2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A tire valve extender would provide more space for one of those clamp on type attachments. Just about any 12V air pump will work, eventually. They're rather slow, and the pressure gauge is generally pretty low end. A bicycle pump with a schrader attachment will work, but it's really slow. Car tires are just a lot bigger than bicycle tires...

Personally, I just prefer to use the fancy pump at Costco. The one by the tire operation, not by the gas station. The tire stores I've used have this device that you set the target pressure on a touch panel. Then you attach the hose and the thing adjusts the pressure up or down as required. It's usually self service, but there was one store where they insisted on doing it for me. Free, no documentation about having purchased the tires from them.

#22 RobH, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Robert Holt and Metrolens like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Meh, after plug repairing one of our tires, I press'd back to over 40 psi, with just a bicycle pump. Granted it took a while, but it's not a killer, easily doable.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Schrader valve stem on the bike should be the same as the Schrader valve stem on the car. I use the same bicycle pumps for both, though sometimes the pump hose head collides with the wheel rim and is difficult to get a good seal unless it is turned to just the one right orientation.

That sounds more like a compact hand pump of the type I carry while cycling. It is not reasonable for cars.

My primary bicycle floor pump, very similar to the one pictured in Mendel's post #8, takes 7 strokes per 1 psi. That would get very old if the full set of tires needed full inflation from empty, but is reasonable for ordinary able bodied adults for a single empty tire, or for regular topping off the full set.

Metrolens likes this.
  5. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone.

I just bought a pack of valve extenders for $5 from Amazon (Thanks RobH - didn't know these existed). I want to give the bike pump method another try; hopefully the extenders will make it possible. My bike pump is like what Mendel and fuzzy are using, and I'm ok with a 7 or 10 stroke per 1 psi ratio.

And at the very worst, the extenders will also likely make it somewhat easier to use the gas station pumps.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The strokes per psi will also vary by pump model. When getting a spare to throw into another car, I got a higher volume model. It takes only 4 strokes per 1 psi, but the larger piston diameter makes the strokes significantly harder.

So, note that different choices are available, so various people should be able to tune the tradeoff between their strength and number of strokes required to do the job. But without getting several different pump sizes to try, I don't currently have any guidance to help pick the right one on the first try.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...we got an old Sears tire compressor plug-in to wall 120v seems to work fine at home.
    Noisy....... I use ear protection though.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, 10A. I would not use an air compressor requiring 12V power unless it came with cables intended to be directly connected to the 12V battery.

For regular use, it would be better to purchase an air compressor that runs off 120VAC power from your house.

#28 Patrick Wong, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  9. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also installed valve stem extenders for a Schroeder valve on all 4 wheels. Mine are chromed metal about 2 inches long, which is quite long enough to get far enough from the OEM rims to use either gas station or portable pumps. Source was local auto parts store , but mine cost $10.

10. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes good bicycle pumps have both choices attached, I prefer a bicycle pump that screws the prestra or schrader on, rather then clamp it on, if the unit extending out of the rim isn't metal, twisting it, pushing hard on it etc will cause premature failure of that part.
    Slime makes extenders, remember to tighten the valve core before installing, and check for air bubbles with a drop of oil.

11. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again everyoe.

Patrick, that's what I had read too elsewhere on PriusChat. The cig adapters are only 10A, but the fuses for these are apparently 15A. It's confusing and the information I could find is conflicting. So I'm going to try to err on the side of safety, and not damaging my car in any way.

I wish I had an easily accesible AC wall outlet I could simply plug into - that would simplify. But I don't have that.

I ordered the Slime extenders, but won't leave them installed; I'll screw them on/off only during inflation.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you can't easily plug into AC house power, I suggest you get a 12V air compressor that has alligator clamps to attach directly to the 12V battery. Then you don't have to worry about blowing a fuse or damaging the Prius electrical circuits. You only have to worry about draining the battery.

Robert Holt likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A 15A fuse that is frequently operated at 15A will have a very short life expectancy. If you don't want to be replacing fuses often, stick to devices using just 10A or less.