1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AIR TERROR PLOT

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Hey Isra... speaking of El-Al, I was just thinking about it over lunch, does their pricing structure reflect the risk level they assign to people?

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Aug 14 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]303131[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't a clue. I am not an El Al employee and I have no contacts at their yield management department. I have always assumed that their fares were dictated by supply and demand and by the competition. My contacts were at TWA; some of them have survived at AA.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Aug 14 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]303016[/snapback]</div>
    Where are all the ACLU members screaming “Racial Profiling�??
    El Al can get away with it and be safer in doing so.
    If United, American, or the TSA tried such a program, they would be slapped with a lawsuit within minutes of implementation.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Calling the Israeli system racial profiling is over simplification. El Al security follows a threat tree; a series of questions for each and every individual. Some get more scrutiny than others based on factors including background and history. It makes real security sense for El Al to spend more time investigating young Arab males than it does for them to investigate Israeli families.

Many Muslims are not Arabs. Several of those who are currently under arrest in Great Britain are recent converts to Islam. I doubt that they possess the tell tale physical features that we stereotypically associate with Middle Easterners and South Asians. For all we know, their passports may still bear their Anglo Saxon birth names. They would not have fit the profile, if that were the case.

Remember Richard Reid, the shoe bomber? the Israelis got a chance to ask Reid a lot of questions, because he flew El Al several months before the flight from Paris to Miami on which he attempted to detonate his bomb. They didn't like his answers, so they checked everything in his bags, and everything he was wearing, and then put an armed sky marshal in the seat right next to him. A system based primarily upon profiling young males of Arab or Pakistani descent would have missed him.

Take a look at another example. In 1986, a 32-year-old pregnant Irish woman, was about to board an El Al flight from London to Tel Aviv to meet the parents of her fiancé, a Palestinian. She had no idea that the man she was planning to marry had hidden plastic explosives and a detonator in one of her suitcases. Israeli profilers interviewing Murphy found out about her boyfriend, got suspicious, and then discovered the bomb hidden in the false bottom of her bag.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I read the following on a private aviation bulletin board.

It was written by a very senior American Airlines B-777 check captain.

Don't you already feel much safer?

6. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 14 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]303013[/snapback]</div>
    Jezus man, you have no clue. It's almost hilarious to hear you talking about things you don't have the slightest idea about. You are trying to cover up previous mistakes with new mistakes. How exactly does my country support muslim extremists and their ideologies? Can you elaborate on that?

We have troops in Afghanistan, under NATO flag, chasing te Taliban. We are there as a direct consequence of 09/11. Perhaps it won't make any real difference, but it is a sign of solidarity towards the U.S.

SWIFT, the company that tracks international monetary transactions and transferred important information to the U.S. intelligence, is a Belgian company. The highest level of politicians and the director of the National Bank gave green light to the transfer of that information, because it was considered important for the fight against terrorism. It was kept silent and confidential in Belgium for years, until your country brought it into the news, making the entire program useless.

So, claiming that my country surrendered and supports extremists ideologies is nothing short of an insult.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Aug 15 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]303583[/snapback]</div>
    Being insulted by DBman is kind of a seal of approval.