1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Air vent under passenger seat- What is it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by davekro, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I resemble that. We drive on the correct side as opposed to the right side, consequently the driver is on the right side instead of the left. Therefore, no commo drivers in Oz.:D

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mia culpa!:) warning to the o/p, you may want to keep that vent clear in the summer when your a/c is on. it might help cool your battery and prolong life. on the other hand, you might have enough from the front vents.

3. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I figured the vent under the passenger seat was familiar to all you veteran (non PIP) Prius drivers, so that is why I posted the question in the Gen III forum. :) I always try to be as specific as possible. It drives my wife crazy sometimes. :confused: ;)

4. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did decide that I did not need 'a box' under the passenger seat to store my aftermarket tire air compressor with all the extra repair stuff (Slime plug repair kit 2040-a, extra set of plug handle 'pokers', diagonal cutters, small vise grips). I just enclosed the pump in a plastic ziplock and it fits nicely to the right of the A/C vent under seat! So now I still get the full cabin cooling (and heating) airflow. :) Allthe other tire repair kit stuff I put where the compressor and sealant 'used to be stored'. ;)

Bisco, how would this under seat A/C vent (blocked or not) affect the traction battery cooling? We know to keep both (PIP) rear seat traction battery vents clear. tks

5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

As you know, the vent helps to pump modified air to the rear. Without it it's possible in hot conditions that a pocket of hot air may prevent cooler air from reaching the battery intake vents.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a big ol vent on the front of the car to pass air through the radiator. Block that and see what happens !!! :)

7. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a vertical net in the back of the car that holds all my stuff which is a better location than on or near a vent that can or may cause a problem if blocked. Stuff moves unexpectedly if you had a sudden stop etc why risk blocking a vent that may cool a battery that can cost $4,000 to replace. Why risk that?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when it's hot out and you have the a/c on, the cooler air get's pulled into the battery inlet and passes over the battery which helps protect it from overheating. the floor vent is there for rear passengers, so the front apparently is not enough. but that may just be for human comfort and not important for the battery. err on the side of caution is my motto.

9. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't 'know' that blocking the underseat rear facing A/C vent would materially adversely affect the traction battery cooling... but then again, if it helps to any degree which 'might' (or may not) add to the traction battery's useful life, I want to err on that side. As Bisco says, caution is a good thing. (except when I need to speed or something risky like that. ;) )