1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbag light on + Check Hybrid System, after 2DIN install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Protricity, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Protricity

Protricity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed a 2DIN aftermarket stereo and in the process I had to remove the dash to install the GPS antenna.

After putting it all together, I get a consistent 'Check Hybrid System' warning which won't go away. Also the Airbag Light is on.

I did remove the right window pillar to get at the right speaker, but I never unplugged anything in there or touched the airbag. Does anyone know why this would happen and how to reverse it?

Does the system need to have its airbag switch reset? I seriously doubt I damaged anything in the installation. I was very careful.

Thanks for the help!!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check all the fuses under the hood and under the dash. Others have had similar problems when wiring. A place to start anyways...

3. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most likely you did not disconnect the 12V battery before you started or you reconnected the 12V battery before you plugged in all the switchs in the console. I got the check hybrid system when I did my install it was due to the EV + ECO + PWR button was not plugged in before I reconnected the 12V . The Airbag is maybe becaues you disconnected the airbag warning light without disconnecting the battery also. Search around and see if you can find the airbag reset procedure.

As for the "Check Hybrid system" message. I just power cycle the car three times and it reset.

4. tolick

tolick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    hi! i also have message: Check Hybrid system after disconnected the 12V battery to change it and i also disconnected the main conector from the hybrid batteries...how can i turn off this error now? what means: "I just power cycle the car three times and it reset" - hot to do it?

Thanks!

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Basically power up (Ready) and down the car three times. If that does not do it, then there is likely a bigger issue.

6. tolick

tolick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    power up means to press the power button with foot on break pedal or without foot on break pedal? thanks!

7. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Power it on while depressing the brake pedal. As in, fully turn the car on as if you were about to drive it.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, just to make sure, did you disconnect the high voltage battery by any chance (orange clip)?

9. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tolick wrote, he disconnected main connector from hybrid battery - maybe he didnt put all things together properly. Generally there is no reason to disconnect HV battery for the aux battery replacement.
    BTW - when you see green Ready sign on instrument panel, the car is ready. It doesnt matter if brake pedal is pressed or not.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your right I missed that... in that case, he/she probably didn't fully seat the connector (click in place).

11. tolick

tolick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, i disconnected the orange clip from high voltage battery and connected it back and then this message appeared. can i turn it off in any way or i shoulf go to my dealer? Thanks!

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are still getting the message, check the orange clip again and make sure it is completely seated (should click into place). Others here had the same problem.

13. tolick

tolick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you very much for the time you waste with me Spiderman. If you'll be able to give me a link how to remove and plug correctly the orange socket correctly i'll be very happy. Thanks!

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not a problem... there was a really good thread on this just a while back with pictures. I will search for it and post the link. If anyone else can recall that thread or other information, please post.

[edit] OK, here are a couple of post to read over.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...shooting/67166-hybrid-system-malfunction.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...g/84719-check-hybrid-system-warning-came.html

15. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you power up the system with some connectors missing (as I've done before), you get messages like check hybrid etc...

As stated, if everything is plugged in correctly, that message goes away after a few starts... You also may have missed plugging in something under the shift area plastic (that's' what I did)...

1 person likes this.
  16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, specifically the shifter connector. :eek: I confess.

17. tolick

tolick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i removed orange plug from battery but still have that errror...

sorry for my many questions, but what you mean with shift area plastic??? where is this area located?

there are some small plugs near the main orange one, so do you think is a good idea to remove all plugs and to try to connect them again, maybe some of them are not properly connected?

Thanks!

PS: i have this error, but my car is working normally, gas engine turns off when i'm driving slowly and it starts when i accelelrate quickly. also i bought car from USA, and received it here in Moldova(europe) only few days ago... and i have to learn some more things about it.

18. ramdisk01

ramdisk01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anybody think this procedure sounds strangely similar to how Dorothy made her Ruby slippers operational! Three Clicks and your done.

I would like to add for what it is worth for anyone adding accessories. It is VERY easy to take a fuse out, put it back in the wrong slot. Not that anyone on this site would every do such a thing.

:p