1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

airbag resistor install quesion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by problemchild, Apr 18, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I searched the forums and found that a 1/4w 2.2ohm resistor was what I could use to disconnect the line. I had removed the seat and installed a volvo seat 1 week ago. I have the puffy airbag alert on my dash lights for 1 week now. I pushed both ends of the resistor into the airbag plug going to the car and powered up and down the car 5 times. The light remains. What am I doing wrong?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you sure it's the airbag? might be another component of the srs system. don't recall offhand, but the readers autozone have might be able to pull srs codes.

could be the seat buckle switch or the seat position sensor. rather than try to guess though, try to get the code and proceed from there.

3. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do I have to put resistors on all of them? The idiot light shows the airbag symbol. I dont have a code reader.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think she meant go to autozone and have them pull the codes. IIRC they do it for free in hopes that you will have to buy something from them to fix your car. I'm pretty sure that the cheap Actron-type tools don't do SRS codes, though. I went through that (with a Volvo no less) only to find that the codes were proprietary.

5. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess Im looking for a way to block off airbag/seatbelt/seat position sensor

6. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [quote=problemchild;Do I have to put resistors on all of them? The idiot light shows the airbag symbol. I dont have a code reader.[/quote]

I recently did this with both front seats, placed a 2 ohm resistor in the car side of the air bag sensor wires, and for the seat position sensor sensor I took the one off the original driver's seat, not too hard, stuck a piece of metal to simulate the seat rail next to the sensor (it's magnetic, hall effect if you want to read about it) and plugged it back into the connection. My guess is you haven't done this part.

Otherwise are you sure you used a 2.2 ohm resistor and not a 2.2 K ohm resistor? Radio shack in my town didn't carry them, had to go to a specialty electronic shop. I doubt my using a 2.0 ohm made the difference, unsure.

"I guess Im looking for a way to block off airbag/seatbelt/seat position sensor" I 'reused my seatbelt, so that connection stays the same. I wouldn't think not belting up would set the code for the light.

On last note, my car seemed to reset quickly, if it was off several minutes, and I connected everything up, the air bag light went off the first startup.

If someone would like to expand on the seat rail position sensor please do. Looking at its operation, it appears that the last say 2 inches of travel, when the seat is close the the steering wheel, the magnetic sensor is "away " from the seat rail. So is it just like an on / off signal ? Is the airbag two stage, or simply on/ off? Also from looking at one chart for the airbag system in an earlier prius, it appears seeing the air bag light means the system is defaulted off. True for 04? Just a caution for anyone willing to deal with this.

7. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently did this with both front seats, placed a 2 ohm resistor in the car side of the air bag sensor wires, and for the seat position sensor sensor I took the one off the original driver's seat, not too hard, stuck a piece of metal to simulate the seat rail next to the sensor (it's magnetic, hall effect if you want to read about it) and plugged it back into the connection. My guess is you haven't done this part.

Otherwise are you sure you used a 2.2 ohm resistor and not a 2.2 K ohm resistor? Radio shack in my town didn't carry them, had to go to a specialty electronic shop. I doubt my using a 2.0 ohm made the difference, unsure.

"I guess Im looking for a way to block off airbag/seatbelt/seat position sensor" I 'reused my seatbelt, so that connection stays the same. I wouldn't think not belting up would set the code for the light.

On last note, my car seemed to reset quickly, if it was off several minutes, and I connected everything up, the air bag light went off the first startup.

If someone would like to expand on the seat rail position sensor please do. Looking at its operation, it appears that the last say 2 inches of travel, when the seat is close the the steering wheel, the magnetic sensor is "away " from the seat rail. So is it just like an on / off signal ? Is the airbag two stage, or simply on/ off? Also from looking at one chart for the airbag system in an earlier prius, it appears seeing the air bag light means the system is defaulted off. True for 04? Just a caution for anyone willing to deal with this.[/quote]

DOH!

I missed the 3 zero's after the 2.2. My bad. Will hunt down the right 2.2ohm resistors today. I will also move over the mag switch. Seems you could just short that one out?

8. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

DOH!

I missed the 3 zero's after the 2.2. My bad. Will hunt down the right 2.2ohm resistors today. I will also move over the mag switch. Seems you could just short that one out?[/quote]

On further exam the seat position sensor is WELDED on the rail. The nut is tack welded and wont budge (*&$#%@#). The harness to it is also a dual harness to the seat belt. That means I would have to cut the wires. I tested the okm's and one way its 89k and the other its 1.3mil. I have no idea which way is correct. I wonder if you could just put a solid wire in the holes on the plug?

9. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: airbag resistor install question

The nut is tack welded and wont budge (*&$#%@#). The harness to it is also a dual harness to the seat belt. That means I would have to cut the wires.

Odd, since that's supposed to be adjustable. The seat rail sensor that is.
    Drill is out? I don't understand the electronics of it so I'm using it "loose" leaving it attached. The advantage to not changing too much of course is you can always go back to the original, say when you sell it. I'm plan on using the seat belt as is ,just reattaching it , with wiring, to avoid any cutting of wires. Dealerships do have free seat belt extenders I've read. I wouldn't change seat belts ,if possible.

Good luck.

10. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: airbag resistor install question

Can anyone add to the magnetic switch workings. Seems its just on or off. When on it should just be completeting a circuit like a relay does only its getting flipped by a magnet. If thats the case I could just short the plug with a small wire.