1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbag warning light on.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by noname87, Dec 2, 2013.

1. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last night, my 2008 Prius was hit from the rear. The bumper was damaged as well as a few starches on the hatch. However the latch for the hatch was move forward so the hatch no longer latches. Also during the collision, my daughter's heavy backpack was throw against the back of the passanger seat with enough force to hurt her back.

The airbag warning light remains on along with the dash indicator saying the airbag is off. Does mean all the airbags are disabled? Can this be reset? The car will be professionally repaired but I still need to drive it until I can get it repaired.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would venture to say that the passenger airbag is disabled at this point. I say this since the indicator is saying "off". Also, since the warning light is illuminated, it would be a good idea to have the system checked out and repaired properly.

There are threads here on Prius Chat where individuals have found loose connections under the seat (yellow wires) and when wiggling these wires the system warning lights will change.

If it were my car, I would seriously consider having the entire system checked out. Also since it was rear ended, it is very possible that the other party will be liable.

I am sorry to hear that your daughter was hurt. I hope she heals properly. It seems as we age that our bodies tend to show the abuse over time from our bumps and bruises.

3. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I read some of the threads that others posted.

The impression I got was that a rear collusion should not effect the SRS system. However if something slid under the seat it could effect a wire or connector. There were also reports (and a warning in the owner's manual) that something pressing against the seat back (such as a child seat) could trigger the warning light. The backpack hitting the seat could have done that. In this case, is there a way to reset the light?

Does the warning light indicate that all airbags are disable? I will take it to a dealer but there are stories here about $3000+ bills to replace the whole wiring harness. Somehow, I will need to convince the insurance company that this was collision damage.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am aware of the problems with stuff hitting the seats, even though this has not happened to myself personally. Like you, I also have read quite a bit of the air bag posts here on PC.

If it were me, I would consult a lawyer. In most states, when you are rear ended the one behind you is responsible. I am not a sue them type person, however I have learned that the insurance companies never pay anymore than they have to. With a good lawyer, you stand a better chance of getting everything taken care of properly.

Remember the air bag system is also in the side of the seats, along with the curtains on the side of the car. They are no longer restricted to just the dash and or steering wheel. Hence more chance of damage and higher repair costs.

I don't think there is a quick fix to reset the light.

5. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. This just happen so I don't know how the insurance will work out. If I need to get a lawyer involved I will but that also gets expensive.

I tried sitting on the passenger seat and the indicator still indicates the airbag is off.

I am also having problems with the smart key system. Is that also expected with a rear end collision since the hatch has a sensor?

I check under the seats and there wasn't any objects on the passenger's side and only a roll of paper towels on the driver side.