1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aircon Warm Air!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just a small note on a concern of mine...

I just noticed that each time the car is on a gradient, or if I brake heavily, or if I accelerate quickly - the car makes abit of a creeking noise - almost like some metal is twisting/screaming.

What could this be? Something not put together correctly?

I spoke to a mechanic about this a while ago and he mentioned that it was the anti-roll bars....but I'm not so sure.

2. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    those creaking noises come when I brake, reverse, accelerate - but it all tends to be at rolling pace - not at speed, from what I have seen. So either slowing down or speeding up... it does tend to happen louder and more often when the latter is taking place on abit of a gradient

its like a weird clicking - starts off slow and then disappears...

hmmmm

at the back of my mind - when I hear these noises, it feels as though the car will start falling apart

thoughts welcome on this too

cheers

3. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this looks like an interesting video too, regarding car noises:

.....sorry - back to the aircon fans...

hehehe

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    First check all the fuses for the fans.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  5. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just checked every fuse in both fuse boxes (one under the steering wheel and the other under the bonnet) - and all fuses checked out at a reading of 0.06 - so I'm assuming the fuses are okay. I did notice that the fuse for "HAZ" under the bonnet was showing on the chart as being a 10A fuse but in the actual fuse box, a 30A fuse was fitted.....is this a problem or shall i leave it? Could this have anything to do with the aircon issue?

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am working on some tests for you to do, but this may take me a little while. This is almost certainly something as simple as an "earth" connection not fitted, a connector plug not plugged in, or a damaged wire.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  7. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    definitely - I agree...

I wish we were based closer because I don't feel confident with the look of the work that has taken place on this car....it just begs the question as to what else is wrong with it :(

I just need an identical prius parked up right next to it, so i can compare the two

RE: the clicking noise - I posted a new thread on this. One member reckons it could be the CV joint - I'd like to test this to be sure - but just don't know how too.

hmmmm

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A CV joint will be noisey on a full lock and generally not in a strait line, but if we may can we come back to that?

Test to carry out on the fans:-

Remove the cover from the fuse box under the bonnet. Inside you will see a number of relays (small coloured boxes).
    Remove by pulling the fan3 relay (very small blue relay with larger grey and brown relays either side).
    Look at the connector blades on the bottom of the relay, (should be 2 copper coloured and 2 silver).
    Identify which terminals the copper blades push into in the fuse box, (should be the 2 nearest front of car).
    With nothing turned on and no keyfob in the car carefully join these two terminals in the fuse box together with a short piece of wire or a paper clip. You should hear the fans run.

If the fans run report back.

If not:-
    With your meter turned to the 20 volt or higher DC scale.
    Check between each of the terminals that you connected together one at a time (but with the connection now removed) and a good clean "earth" chassis bolt on the engine or bodywork. One of the terminals should read around 12 volts. If not report back.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  9. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't get the fan working - or atleast I didn't hear anything when I connected the connectors with a paperclip....I still can't see them and so maybe I need to do this test again.

I got a steady reading of 12v from the (image attached) connector on the left (on the 2 copper connectors - not the set closest to the front, but the next set of copper connectors up).

Also - out of interest - is it okay for the HAZ fuse to be fitted with a 30A fuse when on the actual fuse box, it states 10A (?)
    If it doesn't make any difference, then I'll leave as is.

thanks John

Attached Files:

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The HAZ fuse will work with a 30 amp fuse but should be changed to a 10 amp as this is a safety device to protect the wiring.
    If there was no 12 volt supply on one of the two connectors close to the front of the car, this strongly implies a blow 30 amp fuse (possibly marked CDS FAN 30A) in the fuse box under the bonnet.

The reason I say possibly is because I only have the US wiring diagram, but there is no technical reason for it to be different to the UK and everything else I have done with this circuit diagram has proved it to be correct.

Do not interfere with the other two connectors as these are controlled by the ECU and you could possibly cause damage.

Below is the circuit diagram.
    If you look at the relay marked fan3 relay on the far right of the circuit you will see from terminal 5 a white wire if you follow this you will see it goes directly to the CDS fuse this is in the same box as the relay so the chance of the wire being broken is near zero.

The green wire on terminal 3 goes to the fan motor. Joining the terminals together turns on the fan, but if there is no 12 volt supply on terminal 5 the fan has no supply.

To sum up there must be a 12 volt supply on one of those two terminals. Please do not touch the other two.
    If there is no supply the very strongest contender is a blown (or missing) 30 amp fuse in the CDS position since the wire from the fuse to the relay can only be a few inches long and is within the fuse box.
    AC 2of2.jpg

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this makes sense John - because I think (i think) - that when I did the testing, this CDS FAN 30A fuse was giving a high reading and wouldnt settle to 0.06 as the others did so easily. I plucked it out and it looked okay, so i placed it back in.

Let me replace that fuse anyway and see what happens - might aswell ey

12. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no joy

replaced all of the discussed fuses and the aircon was still warm :(

i must be doing something wrong during the testing

Also - the fuse sockets dont all look filled up in accordance to the map - i'm attaching pictures of both...there are some at the top that look empty (H-LP LO)...

sorry i missed your call - i wasn't near my phone and was having a late dinner. Call me back if you manage get any reception - I'll keep my phone with me this time.

thanks again

Attached Files:

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One more test for you to try. This will really tie things down. Start with things the same as in post 28, no fob in car fan3 relay removed.

Strip both ends of a short piece of wire (flex) about 8 to 12 inches long (not critical).
    One stripped end twist the copper strands and fold over.
    The other end fold all the strands of copper back except one leaving it sticking out.
    Push the twisted folded end of the wire into one of the terminals that the copper blades on the relay push into (one of those nearest the front of the car).
    Next touch the single strand of copper wire on the other end of the wire to the jump point under the red cover. (The single strand will act as a fuse if there is a problem) and there may be a small spark nothing to worry about.
    Listen for the fans starting. You will hear them they are very noticeable.
    If they do not repeat the process on the other terminal near the front of the car, and listen again.
    The fans will only run on one of the terminals not both.
    Under no circumstances connect to the terminals that the silver blades on the relay connect to!!!! If your worried you might do this cover them with a lump of blue tack or tape.

Report back if the fans run or not.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not all of the fuse positions will be filled as this depends on the particular model and accessories fitted to the car. For example fog lights fitted on the Tspirit but not on the T3/T4 and vehicles fitted with HID headlamps use different circuits and fuse setup. You will usually see there are no connections in the holes where the fuses are not fitted.
    It is advisable to stay with the correct size of fuse, but in an emergency it should be safe to use the next size up to keep things running, but the correct size fuse should be fitted as soon as possible. A 50amp fuse for example would likely melt the wiring designed to be protected by a 5amp fuse should a fault occure.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  15. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent information as always John

Thank you

I'll give the above tests a go in abit - just watching the wimbledon final at the moment - Murray might win it!

If you're about later on, I can give you a call if you have reception on your phone

16. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fan worked!!!

what's next captain?

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If there is no 12volt supply on the other connector to that which made the fan work it is the 30 amp CDS FAN fuse, the last green fuse of the two together at the end of the row. Now looking at the fuses in my car the left hand row of fuses starting at the top with 7.5amps is correct as isthe right hand row starting at the top goes:-

15amp
    30 AMP (sound system)
    blank (shown as PTC HTR1)
    blank (shown as PTC HTR2) The UK cars do not have these.
    30 CDS FAN
    But the last fuse does not appear to be fitted correctly in your picture (difficult to tell) but this is the problem area. Can you check this very carefully and change the fuse with the 30amp fuse in the same row marked AMP this fuse only works the sound system. Then report back of course you will have to refit the relay.

The good news is the problem is now tied down to this very small area.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  18. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent - okay, give me half an hour or so and will report back

19. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cant access my car right this moment John - but if you could wait for me then I'd be grateful. I should be able to do the above in around 45 minutes or so.

From memory - I replaced the official Toyota fuse with one I got off Ebay, and the legs were alittle longer on these ones hence why they stick out alittle.....but it's a good idea to swap it with one that is currently proven to work (the AMP one) - so I'll do this in a tick and report back

Thanks John :)

20. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    okay - just swapped the 2 fuses and still no joy

could that little blue Denso fuse be faulty?

The fuses on my fuse box diagram all seem in check

Neither of those 2 bottom connectors hold a voltage when I have the multi-meter turned to 20V. They do read a wide range when turned to 200 Ohms - but it was moving too much - went from a low value to 25...and so on.