1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airflow interruptus?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Jon Bloom, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Last winter I drove down to Florida in my Prime. On that trip, I got terrible gas mileage. I don't recall the exact number, but it was in the mid-30's mpg. Around 15 or so mpg less than I normally get.

At first I thought it was because it was bitterly cold when I started out from Connecticut — single-digit (Fahrenheit) temps. But as I got south to warmer climes, it didn't improve much, so while cold may have been a factor initially, it wasn't the primary factor.

The primary factor, I'm convinced, is that I was carrying a bicycle on a trunk rack. This rack carries the bike fairly high, so it was well into the wind. But it's hard for me to believe that the added air resistance per se was the cause. It's a bicycle, so it doesn't have that large of a cross-section to resist the wind.

My theory, and what I want to ask for opinions on, is that the presence of the bicycle was interfering with the normal aerodynamics of the vehicle, causing the airflow around the car to become turbulent and thus increasing the air resistance of the car itself.

Does that make sense? Has anyone else seen a like effect?

This year when I drove to Florida under similar conditions, albeit not quite as cold, I got the normal mileage, but the bicycle was inside the car. That was awkward as there isn't a great deal of room for it. I've since added a roof rack and bike carrier. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'm hoping that it will reduce this problem since air will be able to flow normally under the rack and around the rear of the car, and because the bicycle will be facing into the wind instead of across it.

Thoughts?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Being a private pilot myself I can confirm that just about anything can interfere with airflow over an airfoil. Frost is but one example. You wouldn’t think it would matter but It sure can. That said, I think your bicycle theory is spot on.
    Toyota has obviously done a lot to maximize airflow. Take those little black nubs fore and aft of the side windows. Those are for airflow. If those can affect the flow of air for the better I am certain the bicycle does the exact opposite.
    Why are bicycles a drag? - CAR magazine

#2 schja01, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Jon Bloom likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. The bike broke up the laminar flow off the back of the car that Toyota worked so hard to develop. That's a HUGE factor at highway speeds.

I read years ago that a motorcycle without a full fairing has about the same CD as an 18 wheeler and the fairing doesn't make it a whole lot better.

Jon Bloom likes this.
  4. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anything that breaks up the airflow is bad for our super-slick cars. I'm afraid your roof rack wont be much better, if at all.

jerrymildred and Trollbait like this.
  5. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You may well be right. It could hardly be worse, though.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wind resistance is the single biggest factor in fuel usage at speeds above about 20 MPH.

BUT.....the impact increases exponentially with an increase in speed.

If you remember......were you travelling faster on that first trip maybe ??

7. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't believe so. I pretty much drive the speed limit or very slightly above, and the speed limits on those roads (I used the same route) haven't changed.

8. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Did you release the parking brake?

just checking.
    :)

9. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    LOL. Yeah, I wondered if something was awry, but everything was normal except the mpg.

10. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Looks like you're right. I did a test run with the bike on the car today. It was only about 80 miles, and conditions weren't exactly the same as last winter, but the mileage definitely took a ~10 mpg hit. (It wasn't a wasted trip since I went to the best brewery in the US.)

11. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just think of it as a convenience trade-off, and you're still getting better mileage than most cars, especially ones with bikes on the top or back. :)

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have seen some car model maintenance manuals list roof racks as severe duty in the foot notes. Something to check next time you have it open.

13. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a terminology correction, because I see this word misused quite often: the word you're looking for is "attached" flow; that is, the boundary layer follows the surface of the car. At anything except very low speeds the flow field around a car is turbulent, with the exception of the very front of the vehicle.

Trollbait and jerrymildred like this.