1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airport Parking Etiquette?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prime Example, May 30, 2017.

1. Prime Example

Prime Example Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I noticed at my airport (IAD) there are several charging stations in the long term parking garage - they are in a prime location. Last time I was at the airport there was at least one (Tesla) parked in a spot with the charge cord attached. I will be traveling this summer and was wondering if it is proper airport parking etiquette to park my Prime in a spot and hook-up the charging cable even if I will be gone for 5 days. Since the garage is typically used for long-term parking, why would the charging stations be there if persons are not going to leave their cars for several days hooked-up to a charger. Any thoughts on this?

2. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I volunteer at our local airport and enjoy free charging while there. I've laminated a 4x6 card that I leave on my windshield to invite any EVer needing the charge to unplug me. At our airport, another car could park in a spot not designated as EV, which is nose to nose to mine, and use the charger I'm using. The charging spots are on the less used 8th story so it's very unlikely that I'd ever prevent an EV from charging.

Your airport may not have that same convenient layout.

ruby, alexcue and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Whole new world of do's and don't that need to be decided.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and 'rules' will also be a function of local supply and demand. Rules aren't really needed until there is enough demand to fill up the available capacity. Once the spaces start getting filled ...

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With a PHEV, I'd leave the charger open. There is an ICE for use, and some BEVs have vampiric electric losses while parked unplugged.

PS: isn't there a warning in the Prime manual that the 12 volt battery can die if left plugged in too long?

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With a PHEV, I'd leave the charger open. There is an ICE for use, and some BEVs have vampiric electric losses while parked unplugged.

PS: isn't there a warning in the Prime manual that the 12 volt battery can die if left plugged in too long?

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What they probably should do at airports is put in a whole bunch of 120V outlets, and it's bring your own 120V EVSE. If you're flying somewhere, most of the time that means at least a day if not many days, so even 120V is plenty. Then install just a small number of 6.6kW L2 chargers for those very few who really will need a fast charge for that out-and-in in a day trip.