1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Akio Toyoda briefs dealers, says Toyota will rely heavily on redesigned 2012 Camry and Camry hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Akio Toyoda briefs dealers, says Toyota will rely heavily on redesigned 2012 Camry and Camry hyb

Besides the obvious hybrid drivetrain, I would love to see the following changes to the 2012 Camry:

1. The 2AR-FE 2.5-liter I-4 engine get the Valvematic variable-timing valvetrain, which may bump the power of the 2AR-FE to 190 bhp with no fuel economy loss.

2. Improvements to the V-6 engine to add 1-2 mpg in both city and highway ratings on the EPA 2008 test cycle.

3. REAL sporty suspension tuning by Toyota Racing Development (TRD) for the Camry SE model.

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Akio Toyoda briefs dealers, says Toyota will rely heavily on redesigned 2012 Camry and Camry hyb

http://automotifzone.com/toyota/2012-toyota-camry-hybrid-photos-and-review/

If Ford can get 41mpg city with the Fusion Hybrid and Hyundai can get 35city/40hwy mpg with the Sonata Hybrid, then Toyota should be expected to get better than 33city/34hwy mpg city for the Camry Hybrid. I don't get it. Can someone explain. :confused:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

i've always assumed it's the way a particular setup performs on the epa test. my wife gets 35-45 in her 08 hycam and it's mostly short trips around town. mpg's seem mostly affected by weather. her average over 40,000 miles is 40 mpg. that's why i wonder if they'll change anything to improve on the test. it's all about marketing and buyers believe what they see on the sticker. also, i'm told the fusion is smaller? and can you buy the hyundai yet?

4. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

Also, according to that C&D article 90% are estimates and never tested.

The Fusion performs closer to the Camry's ratings from what I can gather and the Camry outperforms its ratings...I think they end up being nearly equal all things considered.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

These are the specs of the Camry hybrid since 2007, not 2012 EPA rating. The new car should do better than this.

BTW, posted by Spwolf in another thread, is another picture of the upcoming 2012 Toyota Camry from Portugal, but, the headlight teased by Mr. Toyoda is very different, I don't think it is the same car.

This maybe the hybrid version!
    [​IMG]

http://priuschat.com/forums/hybrid-ev-alt-fuel-news/95790-2012-jdm-camry-hybrid.html

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I think you are right. There is a HSD badge on the front fender.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

According to the post, a 15% better mileage is promised over the HS 250h which is rated at 35 combined. That would put the Camry hybrid at 40.5. I have an '07 regular Camry until Prius PHV and I think 40mpg for such a large vehicle is great, closely in line with the Ford Fusion.

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think it's the writer. He just copied / estimated FE numbers from the Gen 6's. I doubt seriously if he knows anything at all. Simply his personal speculations.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

apperantly US model will have differ headlights/tailights, but overall that is the hybrid, including interior.

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 person likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That's a short rear deck! Almost like the Gen 4 (but with a much swoopier shape). Those 17s fill the wheel well nicely. I think this is an XLE V6 model they're testing (judging by the wheel design and the dual exhausts)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

doesn't look too different, does it?

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. JeffyJosephNorCal

JeffyJosephNorCal Formerly JeffyJosephNCa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Hmmmm.....all I need now are interior pics!

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Looks like a 2011 Highlander in the front with hints of HS in the grille.

Anyone noticed the extra badging in the rear?

[​IMG]

16. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Someone with good photoshop skill should PS away the pattern to reveal what the car really look like. If they can PS away Mr T's hair they can do the same for the patterns.

[​IMG]

17. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

If that's the production front end, I think it had to be the same design team as the 2011 Highlander Hybrid. I'm not real fond of the front end of either one.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I don't know if relying on the Camry isn't a mistake by Toyota. Of course, almost every automaker needs or wants a mid-size, or large family sedan. But the product is so generic and dispersed, that competition is huge. The Camry has been a cornerstone, centerpiece for Toyota, but I think the 4 door family sedan is in decline.

I think we are entering a "specific" product for specific desires phase. Less, one car that blandly is a little bit of everything...such as most mid-size, large family sedans..and more, what do you want?

I'd like to see Toyota create unique products. Regardless of what styling of even mechanical changes get implemented, and they probably are necessary, it's hard to get too excited about another 4 door family sized sedan. You don't like the Camry? Go look at the Accord, Sonata, or even the slightly smaller vehicles that all look generically similar.

Don't get me wrong, a 4 door family sized vehicle such as the Camry is a unmoveable cornerstone. Toyota has to keep it fresh and viable. But I just feel a bit of the wave cresting in that market. I think we are moving into a place where people use specific vehicles for specific tasks. The somewhat generic "every car" as I think represented by Camry's, Accords, and almost uncountable others...has zenithed.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see Prius c, Prius V..and other more specific and unique products.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

that's an interesting prediction, a real paradigm change in car buying if you're correct. i wonder if any automakers are going down that road? of course, most don't hold a decent piece of that market and have no choice.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I could easily be wrong. And..also of course the family sized 4 door sedan isn't going to disappear tomorrow. It's a fundamental vehicle choice for a majority. So don't get me wrong. Competition for Camry has increased and improved, so Toyota IS correct in trying to keep pace to keep lead...

But I do speculate and "sense" kind of a shift. I think new car buyers are buying cars more specific to task. Sports car for fun, Family sized vehicle for family, economic vehicle for work and grocery getting...

And since I think of a 4 door family sedan as the generic "little bit of everything" vehicle...I don't know if it is on the rise...while I'd simultaneously admit that due to it's versatility it isn't going anywhere either.