1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Akio Toyoda briefs dealers, says Toyota will rely heavily on redesigned 2012 Camry and Camry hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jul 1, 2011.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Akio Toyoda briefs dealers, says Toyota will rely heavily on redesigned 2012 Camry and Camry hyb

Will the RAV-4 EV be a total EV like the Leaf, or a plug-in Hybrid?

What will its range be on battery power?

Thanks.

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Akio Toyoda briefs dealers, says Toyota will rely heavily on redesigned 2012 Camry and Camry hyb

Total EV made from Tesla parts.

1 person likes this.
  3. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks, drash, for telling me that the RAV-4 EV will be a complete EV.

Anyone know its projected range?

My wife is thinking about one . . .

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Google says 100 miles real-world but I don't think there's an official word from Toyota.

1 person likes this.
  5. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks. That may not be quite enough for the 1-2 times a week she has to drive to different counties for work.

6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Toyota has stated on their web site the range is going to be 100 miles. If being true to Toyota's rather conservative estimates, if they do come out with an official release estimate, don't be surprised if normal driving is reported as much more. But that being said I would use Toyota's official release estimate instead of some of our more advanced hypermilers actual mileage.

;)

1 person likes this.
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

It's not really in decline. People are still buying 4 door sedans but more of them are downsizing to compacts.

All they mean is that the Camry and the Corolla are their high volume vehicles, but the Corolla is too old and shitty to sell at decent margin so they need the Camry to sell well to make any profit. Apart from that, "relying on" also means that dealerships had better be ready for Camry sales targets.

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Actually the older the population gets, the more "4 door family sized vehicle such as the Camry" will be sold. They are easier to get in and out of particularly for your friends and older relatives. Plus the smaller doors are easier to open and close, especially for those whose movements are limited by age. Those smaller doors also don't swing out as wide as 2-door cars that have back seats.:mad:

I've hated 2-door cars with back seats for as long as I can remember. Hated them when I was a kid, hated them when I owned them, and you really, really hate them when you have babies. All sports/coupe cars should only have a front seat and 2 doors and yeah I'd love to see a Prius coupe with only a front seat and 2 doors. It would get better mileage without that extra seating and extra/lengthened doors. Call it the Prius S or Sc.