1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Al Gore III 100MPH & Drug bust.....In a PRIUS

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by 9G-man, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    !00 MPH in a Prius?, no sweat. Far as I could tell in my non-scientific experiment at 100 MPH I got a little better than 20 MPG. Here's the story . . . http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=33475&hl=

Wildkow

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Jul 4 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]473017[/snapback]</div>
    Based upon the news reports, Al III is eligible to be diverted pursuant to California Penal Code Section 1000.1 Deferred Entry of Judgment program. If he completed twenty weeks of drug education classes and stays free of arrests for eighteen months the drug charges will be dismissed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jul 4 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]473102[/snapback]</div>
    I still remember how the CHP claimed the Rodney King's Hyundai Excel was traveling at 115 MPH when the maximum rated speed of that car was 85 MPH.

3. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobertG @ Jul 4 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]473110[/snapback]</div>
    Hysterical!

Or maybe they didn't know about the secret drawer -- and there's something REALLY bad in there. Paris's phone number or something....

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wasn't realy sure if the Prius would go 100, but I thought it probably would.

I wasn't going to test it myself, so thank you to Al Gore III for providing the data.

His daddy Al Gore (II?) got busted for foing 80 in Oregon a few years back, so I guess it runs in the family. The road in Oregon was Hwy 26, a two lane road over the hills between Portland and the coast. Not a safe place to be going 80.

5. micksimon

micksimon New Member

It's been a while, but I don't recall ever going over 27 mph in ANY car after smoking that stuff... B)

6. zang

zang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobertG @ Jul 4 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]473110[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Best comment yet!!!!! Not sure I want the drawer's location publicized.
    This story will be great for Prius sales and I suspect good for Al Gore too... what parent doesn't struggle with their kid's problems? Remember how in 2000 everyone accused him of being robotic and emotionless?

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 4 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]473199[/snapback]</div>
    Al III can now get a job as spokesman for whatever product he uses to get the pot smell out of the car. :p

8. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AL GORE III SHATTERS PRIUS MYTH

"While his father is well known for bringing public awareness to the issue of global warming, Al Gore III used Interstate Highway 5 in The OC's Laguna Niguel to shatter a long held myth about hybrid economy cars. More specifically, he took a Toyota Prius and brought it up to 100 miles per hour. The results were verified by the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

After notifying Gore that he did indeed shatter the myth about hybrids (and the Prius in particular) being slugs, Sheriff deputies allegedly found evidence that the effort may have been fortified by cannabis and certain prescription drugs. The ensuing arrest was an unfortunate sacrifice to this consciousness-raising event. However, the truth is now out: The Prius can do 100.

Take that, hybrid nay-sayers."

Back Seat Driving, July 4, 2007

[​IMG]

9. fo0bar

fo0bar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    A few years ago I took my 02 Prius out into the middle of nowhere (I live in Nevada, it's not hard to do), and floored it. If I remember correctly, it easily climbed up to 119MPH, then it seemed the engine just stopped accepting input from the pedal and it floated at 119MPH. I didn't think to check what gas mileage I was getting.

Of course, looking back, that was a rather stupid thing to do. Still fun though.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe1347 @ Jul 4 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]473080[/snapback]</div>
    Run al run - although his son should get used to walking for a while :D

I wonder where he got all those prescription meds - and pot to boot. You gotta love algore for at least speeding while green :lol: he sure does teach his children well.

actually i feel sorry for him and his son. i hope he makes this a learning experience and gets help with his problems. i do not envy the children born into this world with a platinum spoon in their mouth.

11. pebi

pebi New Member

100 mph is not very strange, or? (except the fact of speeding, driving under influence etc. etc.....)
    The rated top-speed is 170km/h, atleast here in europe.

I have done 155-160 (wich shoul be aprox 100 mph) (and yes I have done legal in Germany with free speed highways)
    And the fuel cusomption after an hour at that speed was 5.2 l/100 km.

That should be 42-43 mpg I guess.

/Per

12. Wcstflyer

Wcstflyer New Member

Everybody must realize the incredible serendipity effect the Al Gore Jr.-in-a-Toyota Prius-going 100 mph story will have on this car? Never mind that everything but a 1968 VW Beetle can achieve that speed. Never mind that the southbound San Diego Freeway on that particular stretch in southern Orange County goes downhill so the speed was gravity-assisted. No, the mere fact that a perceived eco-friendly, even "wimpy"hybrid was able to clock a three digit speed is enough to put this car even higher in the estimation of potential male buyers who heretofore wouldn't look at anything less than a Corvette ZO6 or a Dodge Viper.

This morning the Al Gore story was all over the Orange County Register, the Lost Angeles Times and all the cable news shows. A majority of the time the male TV hosts cut right through the drugs portion of the story and said, "wow I didn't think one of those hybrids could go that fast." If Toyota is smart, they'll have a specially prepared Prius Pace Car for the next Indy 500. :D

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, it just proves that even drunks see the need to conserve gasoline and save money.

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jul 4 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]472944[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: 100 mph in a Pot Rod!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the bright side, Al Gore III is tied with President Bush for DUI's, but still needs to rack up another if he wants to get into Dick Cheney's league. Then again, maybe Bush will commute his sentence...

16. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    He has the pulse part hammered. Now he has to work on that glide. :blink:

17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To his Dad, this incident is an inconvient truth.

18. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This morning, I looked down, and was indicating 83, trying to not get run over in the HOV. Maybe Jr. had a really persistant SUV following him. Innocent until proven guilty. Pretty stupid though, and definitely not politically correct. I can easily see 100 in a Prius, though. No big deal, and still probably gets 40 or so mpgs.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arroyo @ Jul 5 2007, 02:30 AM) [snapback]473369[/snapback]</div>
    I knew it. That is hilarious. And sure can't hurt Prius sales. Now that there's proof positive out there, some of the Prius-bashers will at least shut up on this point and focus on some other myth.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jul 5 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]473477[/snapback]</div>
    Bush in West Virginia: I will pardon Al Gore's son.

"George Bush, in West Virginia today to celebrate the Fourth for the fourth straight year, gave a moving speech on the war on terror. After the speech, however, he was in his usual jovial mood. While standing in the sun, he pointed to a shady spot under an umbrella, telling party-goers that he was going to "eat some pigs in a blanket over there, so I don't have to eat them over here." After the speech, a reporter asked him about last night's traffic stop involving Al Gore's son (he had a bunch of weed and enough prescription drugs to knock out Gary Busey). Bush thought for a second and then said, "If he's convicted, I will pardon him. Just to f**k with people." The place erupted with applause."

There's more. It's pretty funny.

20. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better check the "greenhouse" at the Tennesee plantation. It could explain those $20K/mo electric bills.