1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Al Gore III 100MPH & Drug bust.....In a PRIUS

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by 9G-man, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Guys,

Give the kid a break... Didn't you do guys do some really dumb things while you were growing up? People rarely learn from other people's experiences while growing up. At least he didn't hurt anybody.

Hopefully after a little time in jail and a fine he won't do it again..

Keith :unsure:

2. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    am I the only one that noticed that he was picked up from the jail in a MASERATI ???? Had he been driving that they may not have caught him, LOL

3. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Guy @ Jul 5 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]473553[/snapback]</div>
    Why give him a break? Because he is the son of an idol to many here on Priuschat?

He is 24 y/o and the heir to most likely 10's of millions in cash, property, etc. He will have a lifetime of connections that would require a personal secretary to keep track. Yet he finds it necessary to not only on this occasion, but also previously, commit major offenses which endanger the lives of others.

I don't have vast amounts of money (still work everyday) or connections from those who could bail me out of a sticky situation. I maintained a good GPA all throughout high school and college and never once did I ever have and encounter with the police. I wasn't lucky, just smart enough to realize my actions and intentions would determine my standing for the rest of my life.

Rick
    #4 2006

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It'll be really hilarious if we find out that Al Gore's son is a republican. AIEEEE! The real inconvenient truth!

5. Dan Neil

Dan Neil New Member

Hi kids,

Dan Neil at the LA Times calling. I'm doing a little story about Al Gore III recent troubles and would like to talk to anybody who has driven the Prius at 100 mph. Esecially WILDKOW if anyone knows him by name and can put me together with him today. My email is [email protected] or you can reach me at 213-237-4957 or 213-200-5030. Many thanks to the Priory of Prius.

Dan Neil
    LA Times

6. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Jul 5 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]473568[/snapback]</div>
    You clearly did not understand or fully read my post. My post clearly states "after a little time in jail and a fine...". Yes he deserves the same legal treatment as everybody else. To put it my intent in other words, just because he is the son of a wealthy and well known individual, he does not deserve to be treated as cannon fodder of the press and this web board.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Neil @ Jul 5 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]473635[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I've only done 82.

Why pick the Kow. Eeeewwww.

8. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Guy @ Jul 5 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]473645[/snapback]</div>
    This is his THIRD time in almost as many years he has been arrested and prosecuted. And he is wealthy, well connected, and has had more chances and opportunities to be a productive member of our society. Yet he has failed miserably. And you seem to think a little time in the pokey and perhaps a fine (Oh yea, that will really hurt!) will cure his felonious ways.

Well, you can count me out. It is clear he will never become a law abiding member of our country. Too bad, though, with his connections he will not get the legal treatment that you and I would most likely receive. You honestly believe he will treated more harshly in the legal system than the average "Joe"??? C'mon, give me a break! Jail time, out of the question. Next time we will read about Al's son, I predict it will be a terrible "accident" which someone will be maimed or killed.

And yes, because he is tremoundously priveledged and well heeled, he should be treated as cannon fodder because of his moronic and pathetic brushes with the law. He could use his standing and virtually unlimited wealth to become a philanthropist, lead a noble cause, or just live quietly in some NY penthouse. Most in his position probably do. But this guy is a screwup, just plain and simple.

I just don't see why your heart seems to pour out for "poor" Al's son. Why the sympathy?

Rick
    #4 2006

9. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Neil @ Jul 5 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]473635[/snapback]</div>

I took it to 93 on the test drive...just to see what it could do. And to tell you the truth, 93 wasn't any stretch. The salesman and I went back and signed the paperwork. We haven't driven like that since but I know Lola can perform when she has to.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Jul 5 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]473699[/snapback]</div>
    Al III was raised with the Kennedy mentality (laws don't pertain to us) or with the idea that whatever you do will be in the public eye so be responsible. I don't know which. He chose to be a pill popping pot head. Live with the consequences. If the authorities have any backbone they should investigate and prosecute those that supplied the material. To be fair, the Bushes did a poor job with their children as well.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think Al III should get a 90 day suspended sentence and be able to violate his probation at least twice before he serves his 23 days.

12. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This group's a real crackup! He was both smoking green and driving green! (pot-rod that is) hee hee

13. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Jul 5 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]473699[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Rick,

Actually I don't feel as sorry for Al Jr. as much as I do for his family. Al Sr. (former V.P. Al) was clearly driven to succeed, and his privileged background allowed him to take advantage of the situation. However being the type of driven guy he is; Al Sr. must be a very frustrated parent having a kid that is turning out to be a real looser. No amount of wealth can cure the feeling that your child is a failure.

As for Al Jr., I do hope that he will get some jail time - as money is of little value to him.

15. pebi

pebi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Neil @ Jul 5 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]473635[/snapback]</div>

As I said earlier, sure I have done that (well it said 160 on the display, since we use km/h)
    And it should be easy to find alot of europeen owners that have done that. (specially germans or people living fairly close to germany).
    So I can not really see the news value here. But I guess it must be an amercian thing ;) Here, nothing below 200 km/h is considered as FAST. Sure your are speeding at 160 and you can loose your license, but it is not FAST. So if you want to tell that story, get any toyota dealer from europe on the phone.....

/Per

16. zang

zang New Member

Anyone else notice the Good magazine ads on the bottom of the Priuschat/ Al Gore III topics? Is that on purpose or, does the ad show up on every Priuschat screen for a certain period of time? Talk about timing!

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Neil @ Jul 5 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]473635[/snapback]</div>
    Dang missed my chance to get on the front page of the LA Times! :( <_< Here's the artcle Dan wrote with priuschat.com mentioned at the end.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 5 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]473648[/snapback]</div>

BTW, Godiva jealousy becomes you! :p

Wildkow

18. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Guy @ Jul 6 2007, 02:09 AM) [snapback]473867[/snapback]</div>
    Common ground met here.

Much that I vehemently disagree with nearly all of what former VP Al Gore preaches, as a fellow parent of three kids myself, I feel for him as I know his son has put him in a bind. No matter how far he tries to distance himself from his adult son's actions, his credibility and standing will forever take a hit. One could argue it is the father's fault, one could argue no matter what a child can be a "bad seed". Some will blame it on the Democrats, some will blame it on the Republicans, and some will even put the blame on AGW! (well, he was driving a Prius ;-)).

Of course, no family is immune from offspring who turn out to be screwups. I really don't care about the disposition of Al Jr. But no matter how you cut it, Al Sr. will now forever be associated with his only son who amounted to nothing despite having the world at his feet.

Rick
    #4 2006

19. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Extradite him to Singapore and cane his arse. Put it on youtube and create a myspace for him (if he doesn't already have one) and put it on there. "The fastest way to the mind is through the body". :D

What a tosser.

20. HOVer

HOVer New Member

I guess up until now we've all avoided the gaze of the CHP due to the prevalent 'myth' that the Prius is pokey on the freeway.

Thanks to Al Jr. we won't be able to claim, "I couldn't have been speeding officer, this car can barely make it to 65!"

Truthfully, I've had my Prius up over a 100 a couple of times and amazingly it seemed more smooth at this speed than my 2000 Mustang (which would lose a few nuts, bolts and who knows what else everytime I crossed the century mark). :)