1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Al Gore's "Assault on Reason"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, May 31, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ 2007 Jun 1 11:59 AM) [snapback]453407[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R1200GS @ 2007 Jun 1 2:11 PM) [snapback]453532[/snapback]</div>
    It's not exactly my idea, but it's one that's been on my mind since a "Theory of Accounting' course back in university. It's the sytem we have now that's not feasible. The costs are all too real; the problem is that they're not included in the price. We should know what we're voting for with our dollars. This is the Information Age, is it not? 'Cost stickers' right beside the price sticker on every commodity should tell us how much greenhouse gas was produced, how many trees were felled, and how much soil and water were polluted in the creation and distribution of the product. Given that kind of information, I hunch our buying habits would change pretty quickly.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 1 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]453407[/snapback]</div>
    I think Amory and Hunter Lovins would disagree, so would Paul Hawkin and Ray Anderson (Interface Inc.). With government maintaining an equal playing field, ecologically aware corporations could indeed profit, increase efficiency, and maintain their fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders. For a very interesting example of this look up Interface Inc. and how Ray Anderson promoted a change that accomplished all of the above mentioned benefits.

From the Interface Inc. website: For more info visit their sustainability site which includes summary reports on their practices.

3. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why is this a "Prius Main" topic?

4. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    good question....

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ Jun 1 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]453695[/snapback]</div>
    Probably meant to appeal to the largest crowd who might be interested in going to the siging. If it was in the Enviro forum only a handful of people would likely see it. Since it wasn't designed as a debate thread I could understand that even if it wasn't right. :)

6. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 1 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]453326[/snapback]</div>
    (Bolding in above post mine)

You used the "f" word; this word has been missing from corporate thinking for at least the last 20 years (I'm probably underestimating this length of time, but this is when I think it became more apparent)...

7. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Jun 1 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]453737[/snapback]</div>
    I thought maybe AlGor invented the Prius, too. ;)

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ethereal @ Jun 1 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]453695[/snapback]</div>
    very good question. it was meant for the WA state forum and not sure i how i got it here. gotta stop cruising Priuschat while emailing, text messaging, eating breakfast, feeding my son, listening to Bob Rivers (he is how i found about gore in the first place) and reading the local paper.

the town hall meeting is in seattle. the tickets sold out in 3 mins so i feel lucky to get them. but the tickets went on sale at 10 AM, and i had completed my order at about 9:55.... so i admit i cheated and although it will be tough, i hope to get over my guilt....hehehe

9. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 2 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]453908[/snapback]</div>
    Given the level of interest, maybe we should ask Danny to add a new forum: the Al Gore Paradise!

10. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah. lets stop talking about AL GORE and lets get back to what we were really talking about (thats really been beat to death) and the people that ignore all the debate and information and only see AL Gore can maybe get something better to do then just seeing AL GORE everywhere because man i'm with them. Enough about AL GORE....

11. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    just ran over this thought it was cute.

"...trying not to trip over their heels as they pedal through a series of fallback positions. (1) Global warming is a hoax perpetrated by liberal social engineers scheming to hamstring growth, ban S.U.V.'s, and traduce property rights(protecting some endangered species' nesting habitats and preventing the construction of commercial eyesores).

(2)O.K. it's not a hoax, but mankind isn't at fault; pollution isn't to blame-it's the natural result of solar activity or the product of a super cyclical trend (the thesis of a new book by S Fred Singer and Dennis T Avery, unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years).

(3) Maybe Global warming is partly mankind's responsibility, but the cure could be worse than the disease, requiring exorbitant regulation that would stifle, even strangle, the animal spirits of free enterprise.

(4) Yes, global warming is a fateful challenge; it's here and it's real, but mankind has always met adversity with resourceful determination--innovative tehnologies will cme along that will allow America not merely to survive but prevail, while the rest of the world fends for itself.
    What's missing is the call for any real effort or cost or scacrifice, anything that would require even minor alteration of comfortable routines....

-James Wolcott
    "Rush to Judgment" pg 100-106, Vanity Fair magazine May 2007 No 561

i've been reading this thread from the beginning and thought anyone who didnt want to go through it all could catch up real quick.

the tagging of global warming as ALGORE was also mentioned. funny that this stuff works and we're witnessing it...

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    saw Al Gore's talk last night. it was relatively short, about an hour. he presented it in his usual style. a little humor, a little history, and a lot of frustration.

i guess he could not understand why things like the contents of Anna Nichol's stomach was getting more news time than GW. or why it was more important to know what Paris would be wearing on her trip to jail then the plight of 40 million americans who have no basic health care.

i saw first hand his eloquent way of speaking. and yes i admit a few times he tried to use examples to illustrate his point and sometimes got an example that was a bit too complicated and its point may have been lost on some of the audience. but mostly, it was plain language presented clearly and using all the words in perfect concert with his intent and their well established definitions...

then i think to our current "leader"....

the fact that Gore won the popular vote...

i have to stop. i dont want to cloud a wonderful experience with could have would have should have's

13. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Jun 5 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]455682[/snapback]</div>
    I don't care what you say. I'm still pissed at Ralph Nader.

Dave M.