1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alarm Horn Beep Disable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Halfnuts, May 8, 2008.

1. Halfnuts

Halfnuts New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm annoyed.

When I get out of my car, close the driver's door, but don't lock it, and go around to the back and open the hatchback, the horn beeps once. I REALLY don't like that because my neighbors live close and I don't wish to disturb them late at night/early in the morning. Is there a way to disable the horn beep? The soft lock/unlock beep is not a problem. I only object to the loud beep which appears to come from the vehicle horn.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Mine does not do this. I think that it is possible that this is a setting that the dealer can change using their scan tool. I would take it back to the dealer and demonstrate the problem to them.

3. Halfnuts

Halfnuts New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, I'll go perturb them and see how their customer service is.

Thanks!

4. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 has the Karr alarm installed on it -- and this unit beeps the horn when locking and unlocking. (In addition to the softer Toyota beep.)

If it's the KARR system you have and you want to disable the horn, follow these instructions which I found on a Mazda forum. I just did it on my car and was am so happy!

- key into ignition
    - turn to ON
    - turn back off
    - push little button behind blue alarm light by your leg area 3x

you will hear 2 soft horn beeps confirming programming.

5. joecoc

joecoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just bought a used 2013 V and was trying to disable horn beep. Dealer did not tell me there was aftermarket alarm, but based on this thread I looked for one and found it and the disable steps worked (!) Thanks.
    The Setup Options on Audio were controlling the lights and Toyota beep only, the horn beep was impossible to silence.

Now I am wondering what to do further (if anything) about the mystery alarm.