1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

alarm when entering Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hugh, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have Smart Start. After I touch the door handle I get the normal beep and it unlocks. But, as I enter and until I shut the doior a long prolonged alarm sounds. Anyone experience this?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm, Only indication I see in the owner's manual is that you powered on and put the car in drive with the door open. Any display on the MFD about that?

Low battery is just one normal beep.

If you are talking about the beep on the outside, you pressed the black button while getting in. It warns that a door is open so it can't lock.

Page 27 of owner's manual describes the beeps and their meanings.

3. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you. I believe I was pressing the sensor button when entering. This chat site is great!

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I tried pressing the black button while the door was open. Yup, one long beep! Lasts 10 seconds, but you probably closed the door before the 10 seconds were up.

5. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Also, if you press the lock button with the same hand the FOB is in, you will get a long beep and door will not lock.
    It must think the FOB is still in the car.
    I have had this happen several times. . .finally figured out if FOB is not in hand touching button, everything works normal.

6. Stocky

Stocky New Member

I mentioned in a previous chat that I use one of those lanyards (the sort you have your name badge on at conferences). It has a metal clip which I clipped to my SKS fob, dropped it down my shirt and I always have it with me.

Also I can "show pff" and open the door with nothing in my hands or pockets, friends don't look at what is around my neck - they think I have had a digital signal injected under my skin or something.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Pressing the black button with the door open has the outside beeper sound for 10 seconds. It sounds for 2 seconds if it senses the fob inside.

I have found that if the fob is above the door handle within about a foot, it will think it is inside the car. You can see the fob light blink twice when that happens. If the inside oscillator doesn't trip the fob to transmit, then the ouside oscillator will call the fob to transmit, in which case you see one blink, no beeps and doors lock.