1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Album Art Prius Prime Advance

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Gonzo75, May 28, 2017.

1. Gonzo75

Gonzo75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone else having issues when connecting their iPhone (I have a regular 7) showing album Art when playing through USB. I'm not playing Apple Music streaming service, but just standard audio files from my iPhone. All the files have album art.

I do notice that when I turn my car on, I do get album art but any track after I get out of Parking position, it's just a music symbol. Are there any specific settings I need to set to get this to work? There is an album art setting in General->Audio->Cover Art Settings?

2. Gonzo75

Gonzo75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bump...

Seems like some folks are having this issue by browsing the forums but can't seem to get a definitive answer. If possible, would love for someone to plug in their iPhone via USB to their Prime with 11.6 in screen, play a song while driving, and see if the album art shows up. Thanks in advance!

My buddy has a 2017 Prius and the 7 in screen shows album art when connected via USB 100% of the time.

3. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Don't know if this will help but I found the setting you are looking for. I found it by mistake today. Menu button>*Settings>Audio, then you should be here:

upload_2017-5-31_18-29-31.png

Good luck.

4. Gonzo75

Gonzo75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks! I did look into that menu and I have everything set to "On" and still no luck. Again, the problem is when the car is not in park mode, the iPhone no longer displays album art. Anyone else with an iPhone wanna report back results?

5. DHM2017

DHM2017 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have an iPhone 7s Plus, and 11.6 screen. I don't get the album art at all, no matter if it is in park or drive.

6. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe it also depends on if the album art is imbedded in the music file, and if not, it pulls from the Gracenote database?

7. eleven28

eleven28 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One album art popped up the other day in a Spotify playlist from my Android device, but it stayed on that picture the whole time. I'm wondering if it pulled from the Genre of songs.

8. Such_a_cool_Prius

Such_a_cool_Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was experimenting with Album art on my Prius gen 3 and I found out that it is pretty picky when it comes to an image embeded into mp3 file as album art - it has to be square and not so high resolution (not big size). I usually replace album art with an image sized 600x600 or up to 700x700 pixels and afterwards album art is displayed.

9. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This is being discussed in another thread. I tested on the drive home yesterday and found album art would not display no matter what I did (Bluetooth or USB/iPod mode, in drive or parked with parking brake on). I played with the album art settings referenced above (including with and without Gracenote), but no change. My set up is an iPhone 8 with (at the time) iOS 11.0.2 and the latest Entune car and app updates.

10. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    USB, BT, iPod, iPhone, or Android, and images as low as 200 x 200 pixels in MP3 will not display, UNLESS you are in park with the Emergency Brake on. Try it. Freaking crazy.

11. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I stand corrected. Just went out to the car and tried it again, and you're right: In park, with parking brake engaged, the album art displays. It immediately disappeared (replaced with the BT icon) when I released the brake and put it in gear. I swear I tried this at a light yesterday (put it in park and engaged the parking brake) and album art didn't display. But today it did. Bizarre.

Mark57 likes this.
  12. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Replying to myself here to add that I tried this again today and found that album art displayed with the car in drive and the parking brake engaged. Parking brake only needs to be pressed very slightly to trip the switch and the album art appears.

13. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tried it in drive but I concur that it takes only a VERY slight touch to make the art appear.

I don't normally drive with the audio screen up so I'm not normally going to see it while driving, but it would be nice if it was there when I was on audio. The art image is not very big.

So, other than perhaps warning you that the E Brake is on, is there any other reason besides the evil album art that the vehicle needs to know the E Brake is on?

mercat68 likes this.
  14. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I got out and tested my Advanced. The parking brake depress does not allow the album art to show when I'm in drive or while moving in neutral. I get an instant popup message to remove the parking brake. A slight depress on the parking brake does allow it to show only if I'm in park.

If I really want to see it, I can just leave the screen on my phone on.

15. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Weird - different behavior in the Premium and Advanced trim levels.

16. eeyoreed

eeyoreed New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just got off the phone with Toyota and they indicated this is a safety feature to avoid distraction. So, the 11in moving map is not a distraction but the postage stamp size static picture will cause distraction. Got it. </sarcasm>

17. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And of course the popup of the partner (read $$ sponsor) Gracenote logo that pops up and disappears, is no distraction. :rolleyes:

PS, welcome to the site!

Nuclear_Charged and eeyoreed like this.
  18. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That and the fact that album art appears on all the streaming services in Entune. Ditto on eye roll.

19. Roger1045

Roger1045 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In my 2018 Prius Prime Advanced Plugin the album art for USB will not display at all if Gracenote for USB is Set to ON but a still photo which seems to be dependent on what brand of USB Flash drive you are using ( Headphones for SanDisk ) is displayed. When set to off it will then only display album art if the emergency brake is on. I guess the reason is you are not supposed to look at it if you are driving. However the Song Title and other Information are displayed while driving as well as 100 other things on the big screen and they are even more difficult to see while driving so I do not understand the logic of not allowing album art. Other cars I have owned display album art all the time. Reprogram the Prius for album art display please!

20. ricomtl

ricomtl Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    So glad I came across this thread! Spent hours last night trying to figure out why the Gracenote database wouldn't show any album art! My old 15 Prius V did show all album art over.

I must be parked + emergency brake engaged. That is soooooooooo dumb!

Glad I found my answer here!

Has anyone found a hack around this so far?